December 13th

Prompt: Karlie accidentally forgetting Taylor's birthday, or maybe Taylor forgetting her own birthday?

--

Taylor could feel herself sink into the soft pillows and Karlie's breathing was already even and heavy next to her. She found herself cuddling closer to her wife and trying to ignore the bright morning light seeping in to the curtains already. She sighed as she realized she couldn't even remember the last time she'd gone to sleep while it was still dark outside.

When the sharp vibration rang out in the quiet room she couldn't even tell whether she was dreaming, but the noise was insistent and she was scared it'd wake anyone up so she reached blindly for her phone and forced her eyes open as she brought the device up to eye-level.

The time showed 8.34 and she had apparently gotten a few texts during the night. The latest one was from her mother and said:

Happy birthday baby girl, I hope you're getting some sleep, call me when you can!

With a start the bewildered singer checked the date on her phone and was amazed to see December 13th 2023.

It was indeed her birthday, somehow for the first time in her life the day had just snuck up on her. How was it already mid-December?

Was this what her life had become? All the days of the past four and a half weeks blurring together in a whirlwind of feeding, diapers and exhausted cuddles!

No sooner had these thoughts crossed her mind before an earth-shattering scream was heard from the crib in the corner of the room. Their daughter was awake once again and she demanded attention. Taylor started to sit up almost robotically, but Karlie was stirring next to her too and sat up, rubbing her eyes and looking like she was on the verge of tears.

"No, baby, I've got her, go back to sleep." Taylor mumbled, pressing a sleepy kiss to Karlie's cheek and her wife didn't even have time to respond before she was fast asleep again, her head having barley landed on the pillows.

A few seconds later Taylor had stumbled her way to the tiny screaming human and held Lucy close to her chest rocking and shushing, singing softly, trying to breathe through the fresh waves of exhaustion.

"Happy birthday to me..." Taylor mumbled to herself as she sat down in the living room, watching her daughter drift back to sleep and holding her close, feeling her little heartbeat and catching herself thinking that sleepless nights aside she could never have gotten a better early birthday present than the birth of their little girl.