Violet

Violet sat on the orphanage steps, staring out into the empty street. She was an ordinary girl, except for her lack of parents and her startlingly purple eyes, which the orphanage workers had named her for. Her eyes, she thought, might just be the thing that kept her from getting adopted, maybe everyone thought she had some sort of disease. "And maybe I do, maybe that's why I was left here in the first place.", Violet whispered to herself. She did that a lot, she had gotten quite used to keeping herself company. Before they moved her to Brunswick, she had been in an all-girl orphanage, where she was an outcast and had no one to talk to. Now she had a friend, Tom, who had been in the Brunswick Orphanage all his life. She flinched as she heard a scream. It was a very common occurrence on Brunswick Street, which the Louisville Insane Asylum sat on the end of, but the sound still sent prickles up her spine. "Something's not quite right about that place", said Tom, suddenly appearing in the doorway. "The people going in seem to be completely sane, but they always leave mental, if they leave at all." Violet shuddered as another desperate scream sounded at the end of the block. Mrs. Norberry, the lunch lady at Brunswick, had been missing for a week. Everyone at the orphanage was on edge, and the terrible cries coming from the asylum did not help to ease their minds.