Mrs. Norberry's Return

Dr. Lescue and Mrs. Norberry made their way to Brunsick Orphanage the next day. Helen, the head of the orphanage, greeted her with tears and warm embrace. "Maggie! Where were you? Oh, we've been worried sick, you didn't tell us you were leaving! And who is this?" Maggie Norberry responded, " Didn't I? Oh I do believe it must have slipped my mind to do so, I'm getting old, you know. I've been out to find someone to vaccinate the children, and here he is, Dr. Lescue." Dr. Murdock Lescue, who was wearing an odd pair of dark goggles Helen assumed had something to do with his practice, nodded. Helen gave a stiff nod back. "I don't remember discussing this, Maggie." "Oh well, I thought you had plenty enough on your plate, running an orphanage full of children can't be easy, now can it? He's one of the best doctors there is, this Lescue man. You don't want our children dying of the poxies, now do you?" "No, no of course not," responded a reluctant Helen, "Here, come inside."

Violet and Tom had been watching from the top of the stairs. "...That's not Mrs. Norberry.", said Tom, shaking his head. "No, not in her right mind at least.", Violet replied. Their voices were grave. Violet watched the strange man, he had some unspeakable quality that made him seem barely human. "He's up to no good, we have to tell Helen!" "No, Vi, she won't believe us!" "Well we've got to at least try!"

    Violet ran down the steps, Tom trailing close behind her. "Why there you are, Violet, Tom, meet Dr. Lescue. This kind man is going to vaccinate all of you, for free!" Violet and Tom looked at each other, eyes wide open in horror. "NO!", She pleaded, "Don't let him do anything, that man's up to no good! Mrs. Norberry is not in her right mind, we saw her rummaging through trash behind the asylum yesterday, didn't we, Tom?" Tom nodded quickly. "He must have done something to her!" "Now, now, silly children," cooed Mrs. Norberry warmly, " You mustn't make such terrible accusations just because you're afraid of a little shot, it won't hurt much!" "You children ought to be ashamed of yourselves," gasped Helen, "You're much too old to be telling tall tales, there's nothing to be scared of! Now go call the other children down. Run along!" Violet gave Tom a determined look, which he reciprocated. They were not going to let this man poison the orphanage with his so-called "vaccines".