Little Sharpshooter Chap 8

Randy was as polite as she could be, but was antsy with every passing day. No outlaws came to harass Miss Daisy. But they might be waiting for Randy to leave. She wasn’t going to make it a production when left town.

Trevor was always nearby when he wasn’t busy doing anything else. When they went into White Oak together for Randy’s treatments, she would eye the horses for sale at the stable across from the boarding house. She spotted one that would be just right for Trevor and kept a close eye on it, a noble chestnut with a sound body and not overly excitable. She would have to come back and make the deal. Randy wasn’t going to tell Trevor yet because she wanted to see his face when she brought the gelding home.

“I have somethin’ I need to do alone in town.” Randy needed to move quick if she was going to buy him. Someone looked him over when they came into town earlier. She had enough notes on her, she was sure. Even if it was more than what Miss Daisy had, it would be worth it to see Trevor stop sulking while on his sorry horse.

“Where we goin’?”

“You mean where am I goin’? I don’t want you there when I talk to the seamstress about my underclothes.”

“Oh. You want me to wait elsewhere?”

“No. Head home. I’ve been here enough. I’ll find my way back.”

Trevor was reluctant. She waved him on. He headed for home sulking on his sulky horse. Maybe a new horse would cure that.

The stablemaster was trying to milk Randy for all he could. She spent plenty of time at the auctions back home. She knew what the gelding was worth. When she was done, Randy paid what she thought was fair for the well-broke horse.

With the chestnut trotting behind Al as she left town, she wondered what great name Trevor would give him.

Randy could hardly control the smile on her face as she trotted Al and the new horse down the drive.

Trevor sulked out of the barn and then looked up at Randy. He did a double take and ran to the new horse.

“What did you do?” he asked. Trevor’s eyes danced as he looked over the horse.

“I bought ya somethin’. He’s much better behaved than my boy.” She dropped the lead rope into his hands.

Trevor ran his hands over the neck of the chestnut and down his back. His hands glided over the smooth slight curve of the horse’s back several times before Trevor checked his legs and in his hooves. He gripped the halter with both hands as he gazed into the horse’s eyes. Then he rested his forehead on the horse’s head and closed his eyes.

“He’s perfect.” Trevor turned away, pressed his fingers in his eyelids when he led the horse to the barn.

Randy urged Al to follow. “I expected a little somethin’ more than that from ya.” She dismounted in the barn. When she turned, Trevor was right there. He threw his arms around her and held her tight to his chest.

Randy’s heart raced and her face flushed. When he let her go, she hid her face from him to lead Al in the stall.  Her face stopped burning when she joined Trevor where he leaned on the stall door that belonged to Trevor’s new horse.

“What’s his name?”

“I’ve always wanted to name my first horse Storm.” Trevor beamed.

“Really? He’s more like a peaceful cloud though.” She reached her hand out and the horse rubbed his upper lip across the palm of her hand

“His name is Storm.”

“I kinda like the name George. It has a nice ring with Al. Al and George.”