Little Sharpshooter Chap 12

Randy woke when the sun peeked in the windows. Al was the first thing on her mind as she started to roll up out of bed. Trevor’s arm had her pinned and his cheek was on her shoulder. She blinked a few times wondering how he wound up all wrapped around her when she fell asleep with her arm over him. She slid out from under his arm then plucked her clothes up off the floor. Randy was buttoning her shirt when she looked up and saw herself in the mirror on the other side of the room. Something struck her. Pulling her petticoats on under her skirt, she watched her reflection moving across the room until she sat down on the bed where Trevor sat the night before. Pressing her mouth together, she looked over her shoulder. Trevor turned blinking as he struggled to focus on her. Randy slapped his shoulder.

“Ow! What was that for?” He rubbed his arm.

She pointed at the mirror and slapped him again.

“I can’t believe you.” She started to stand up but he grabbed the back of her skirt. Then he held her arm, pulled her over to him as he sat up, holding her wrists so she didn’t hit him again.

“I didn’t look. I promise. My eyes were closed when I realized the mirror was there.”

“I don’t believe you.” Her face reddened.

“I’ve been punched by you before so I know better than to upset you. I promise.” He let her wrists go. “I promise you I didn’t look when you undressed. I did look at your shoulders though before you started to kiss me last night.” His eyes danced.

“You kissed me.” She pushed his chest.

“Only after you chickened out.” He pulled her closer to him. “You can start one now if you want.” His eyebrows lifted as he waited.

Randy flushed. Not able to look at him, she ducked from his stare and pressed her forehead into his shoulder.

“You missed.” He tilted her chin up and smiled. Her chest fluttered so much she thought it would explode as he leaned in and then backed away. “Are you chickenin’ out again?” He sighed shaking his head.

Randy grabbed his chin, looked him in the eye. She leaned in and bumped his nose with hers. She backed away embarrassed. His hand slid to the back of her head, he tilted her face ever so slightly, paused only a second before his mouth gently pressed into hers. His lips lingered on hers with his second kiss. Randy’s hands trembled when he finished.

Randy heard a familiar bang. “Al.” She sighed pulling away to leave and quietly hobbled down the stairs to the stable.

Randy and Trevor were having breakfast when Bronson entered the dining hall. He pulled up a chair, turned it around to straddle it, taking a piece of bacon off Randy’s plate, and stuffed it in his mouth. She glared at him.

“Good mornin’! So I think by mid-day tomorrow I’ll be ready to go.”

“And how far will we get to the next town if we only have a half day to travel?” Randy asked.

“We’ll just sleep under the stars.”

Trevor and Randy looked at each other.

“What? Are you two a couple of sissies? Not able to sleep out with the coyotes, huh?” He gave Trevor’s shoulder a shove.

“We just had an uninvited bed guest our first night.” Trevor answered looking at his plate.

“A spider? Those tarantulas are beasts. Or was it a scorpion? Now those hurt.”

“A rattlesnake.”

“Well, boy, you lived to tell the tale. I say your done broke-in to sleepin’ under the stars now.” Bronson reached for another piece of bacon off Randy’s plate. She slapped his hand. He turned and waved for the lady to take his order.