Little Sharpshooter Chap 10

Seated opposite each other in the dining hall, Randy did her best to avoid eye contact with Trevor. She flushed easily when Trevor drew attention to their fake newlywed status and flushed even more when the woman taking their order told them what a charming couple they were. When the woman left, Randy kicked Trevor’s foot.

“Would you calm down with all this just married nonsense? I don’t like all the attention especially when it’s not true.”

“It’s not much different than you usin’ your pa like he’s still around.” Trevor’s face turned white. He reached for Randy’s hand. “I’m so sorry.”

She pulled it away from his touch and rubbed her eyes.

Randy wouldn’t look at him and that was when she spotted someone she knew. She gasped and turned her head to the wall.

“What is it?” Trevor reached for her hand again. She didn’t pull it away.

 “You two already havin’ a lover’s quarrel? Better to have one early on. It’s not bliss forever.” The woman set their food down then squeezed Randy’s shoulder. “As long as he learns that the lady is always right, he can’t go wrong.” She winked before she left.

Randy glanced to the side again. The man across the room stared right at her.

“What is it?” Trevor tried to spot what she kept glancing at.

“That’s Bronson. He’s was friends with Pa. I haven’t seen him for at least a year, I think. But he knows me well enough.” Randy covered her face with her hand while she ate. Her heart pounded in her ears when Bronson approached their table.

“Miranda?” Bronson tried to get a good look at her face. “It is you. What are you doin’ here? Where’s your pa?” Bronson noticed the ring on Randy’s finger. He took a good look at Trevor and the ring on his finger.

“No! You didn’t.” Bronson grabbed hold of Randy’s hand with the ring on it. “What’s all this? Where’s your pa?”

“Let her go.” Trevor stood up.

Bronson pushed Trevor back down in his chair.

“Shhh.” Randy glared at Bronson and pulled her wrist out of his grasp. He grabbed Randy’s upper arm and headed out of the dining hall. Trevor started to follow.

“I’ll be back in a minute.” Randy forced a smile on her face and struggled to keep up with Bronson’s broad strides with her limp as he yanked her out the door.

“You didn’t go run off and get married and leave your pa behind did you? You ungrateful wretch.” He was ready to backhand her across the face.

Randy blocked his hit and kicked him in the shin.

“You need to give me a chance to explain before you jump to conclusions.” She stomped on his foot and cried out regretting it with the pain that shot through her leg. His eyebrows lifted with concern. She punched him in the stomach. He doubled over and laughed.

“I forgot who I was dealin’ with for a minute there.” He rested his hand on her shoulder as he slowly straightened up. His stringy dirty blonde hair fell over his eyes. “Explain.”

“Not here. Dang it, now there’s a crowd.” She flushed and shifted her weight uncomfortably on her good leg.

Everyone gathered around to watch. Bronson rubbed his scruffy, bearded chin to search for a place to go. He held Randy’s elbow and politely walked her down the boardwalk until he led her in between the buildings. He folded his arms across his chest and lifted his eyebrows again waiting for an explanation.

Randy couldn’t hold it together, pressing her lips together with watery eyes. When Bronson saw her tears, his face turned white.

“No! What happened?”

“Two men shot him early one morning. I played the game but I didn’t do it right because they shot my leg and he’s dead.”

“Miranda, you did play it right. The game was for you to survive.” He squeezed her shoulders.

“I almost died. It got infected and I didn’t want to stay with Miss Marla like Pa wanted me to. I didn’t tell anyone he died. I said we were goin’ to California. I left as I was gettin’ sick. Trevor saved me. His nana made sure they saved my leg.” She swayed from grief and relief that she could tell Bronson what happened.

“Did you marry him?”

“No. This is Ma’s wedding band and he’s wearin’ Pa’s. I can’t buy us two rooms all the way to California and we didn’t want it to look bad.”

“Oh, I see. Just a game of pretend, like a couple a kids.” He half-smiled then winked.

“Now stop it. He offered to go with me so I wasn’t alone. I’m glad he’s here. He’s been real good to me.”

“As long as there are no married benefits involved.”

“I don’t know what you’re talkin’ about and if I did, it doesn’t matter. You ain’t my pa. I’m also old enough to get married if I wanted to. So you leave me be. I’m gonna go back before Trevor worries and comes lookin’ for me.” Her limp slowed her down as she headed to the dining hall.

“Now, Miranda …” Bronson caught her by the arm

“You know I go by Randy. I have since Ma died.” She yanked her arm from his grasp.

“All right, Randy. Even if you two go together to California, you don’t have a shot of makin’ it by yourselves.”

“What makes you say that?”

“There’s almost nothin’ but desert between here and there. Days and days of desert with outlaws and Indians. What happened to those men that showed up?”

“I don’t know. I shot their hands. They were treated by the doctor but I didn’t tell no one but Cheveyo what happened at home.”

“So those men are still out there. And do they know who shot them?”

“I think they only know that Pa had a girl but they never saw me.”

“The minute anyone catches wind that you’re James Carter’s daughter, then your life could be in danger. You know how many men want revenge and would do anything to see that happen? You know why he played all those games with you all the time.”

“I know.” Randy whispered and rubbed her arms. “But there are a lot of good folks that know what good he does. Even the bad respect him.”

Bronson leaned closer to speak in Randy’s ear. “The smartest thing you’ve done is make sure no one knows he’s gone. But that could come back to bite you if you go around tellin’ everyone who you are. That is unless you give them a reason to respect you too.”

“I do that already. The stablehand gave me a very fair price for the horses after I let him know he wasn’t bein’ fair.”

“No, I’m talkin’ about somethin’ else.” Bronson looked over her head and chewed on his lip, lost in thought before his eyes met hers again. He patted her shoulder. “Go back to havin’ dinner with your fella.” Bronson walked behind her into the dining hall. They both went back to their seats like nothing happened.

“What was that all about?” Trevor’s face was bright red as he shoved food around on his plate.

“He thought I ran away from home. I set him straight.”

“Is he gonna tell anyone about us?”

“I don’t think so. He gets it. But I don’t think he’s done talkin’ to me about our plans.” Randy’s attention was on her plate as she hurried to finish eating her cold dinner. It all started out like such a nice plan. Bronson watched her while he ate his dinner on the other side of the room.

“Are you finished?” Randy asked flustered even though she wasn’t completely done.

“Yes.” Trevor replied flatly.

“Let’s go check on the horses.” Randy made a point of taking Trevor’s hand as they left the room. Trevor pulled her closer to place his arm around her shoulders.