Second Hand Rescue

"Hey, hey, I didn't mean anything by it!" The man sounded offended but you couldn't see his face well between the bill of his cap and lack of light.

"Uh huh, sure." You rolled your eyes and leaned against the wall opposite from him, lowering yourself until you hit the hard ground. The floor was cold but it felt good to get off your feet. You let out a low groan as relief flooded through your legs.

"Bad day?"

"You could say that."

"I getcha, mine hasn't been all that great either." He gave a half hearted laugh and scratched the back of his head.

"How'd you end up in here?" You weren't really interested, but it was a way to pass the time.

"I uh, I'm a pirate and I guess they recognized me and threw me in here." He looked away, embarrassed about the situation.

"Crew wasn't around to help you out?"

"I wandered off by myself....." He coughed awkwardly. "Anyway, what about you?"

"Apparently I kicked some marine ass and they didn't like it." You said nonchalantly, still unsure whether that was true or not.

"Apparently? Did you not realize they were Marines?" He leaned forward on the cot, setting his arms on his knees and clasping his cuffed hands together.

"Not exactly, it's more like I woke up today with no recollection of anything." It was beginning to frustrate you in all honesty.

"Of....anything? Like anything in general or.....?"

"Anything about my life. I spent all day trying to figure something out before they got a hold of me."

"Yeah." He nodded, more to himself than you. "That'd make for a pretty bad day."

"Ehhh, I'm sure it could be worse." You shrugged. All in all, you were very calm about the situation. Quite the optimistic.

"I betcha I can make it better." He smiled.

"Dooonnn't suggest what I think you're going to suggest. The answer is no."

"What? No!" A blush spread across his face. "No, that's not what I meant at all! I-I was going to say my captain won't leave me here!"

"So, good for you?"

"I mean he can help bust you out too." His grin returned.

"Why would you and your captain help a complete stranger?"

"Kindness of our hearts. Sure we're pirates but we aren't terrible people."

"That makes zero sense but okay. Just so you know I won't be here for long, I don't know if you heard the guy that brought me here but I'm heading to Impel Down tomorrow."

"Oh we were supposed to leave this island today, he'll probably come tonight."

"Well- oh, maybe not." You tapped your chin thoughtfully.

"Maybe not what?" He tilted his head ever so slightly.

"I was wondering if it was possible that your captain forgot about you and already left."

"He-he wouldn't forget me!" He visibly swallowed and then straightened out. "Shachi wouldn't let him forget about me!"

You giggled. "Sounds like you have a good friend."

"I do." He layed back with his legs still over the edge of the cot. "You'll have to meet him when they bust us out."

"I'm glad one of us is confident." You yawned, the events from the day catching up with you. "If things get interesting around just yell or something. I gotta get some sleep."