Chapter 21

The weeks leading up to Winter Leave were quiet. The announcement about what happened in Carvolier Town was made, along with the approval for investigations. Though no names were mentioned, it didn't take long for others to figure out it was Nagan and Az. Their older friends came by and asked if they needed anything. Both shook their heads, just wanting time to process everything.

Nagan never ended up telling Az what happened to him afterward. He didn't want him to feel guilty for leaving him.

However, a few days after the incident, Nagan was called into Master Dagmire's office. There, he found other members of the Council of Thirds waiting for his side of the story as a prime witness. After confirming the descriptions of his captors, he felt nothing as they explained those men were found dead in that exact tavern. Killed by something too sharp to be an ordinary blade.

On the other hand, Nagan had become somewhat of a hero in his combat class. At first, it annoyed him to no end how his fellow classmates would go to him if they had a question, asked if he had any tips so they could improve their form, and how the combat professor himself would use him as an example. But after a while, he grew used to the extra amount of attention, and eventually warmed up to the idea of helping other students in what they struggled with. This bled over to some of his other classes where he excelled higher than the rest.

Before he knew it, what used to his morning spent alone in the empty library became study sessions for first years. He found himself wandering between tables, tutoring those who needed help and joining them in the search for answers if neither of them knew. When finals rolled around, those who spend the morning in the library were sent home with high test results.

"Honestly, I didn't think you'd be the type of person to take up tutoring," Az commented as they made their way out of the castle, their trunks already packed and sent off to the Arcloven Manor. There was a white sheet of snow on the ground as they walked into the once green field where the rest of the Arclovens were waiting. Nagan tucked his nose further into his scarf and shoved his hands in his pockets when the first gust of wind reached them.

"It's not like I chose it. People just started asking me questions. It would've been rude if I ignored them, so I answered if I knew the answer," he huffed out a cloud of breath. "Maybe I should've ignored them. Then I wouldn't be bothered so much."

Az snorted and began to laugh. "You just don't want to admit you didn't mind it."

"It's good to see you again, boys," Master Arcloven greeted a gentle smile. Madam Arcloven stood next to him with her usual stern expression while Forine buzzed with excitement.

"Hello, Father. Mother. Florine," Az greeted politely while Nagan opted to go for a jerky nod, trying to prevent his teeth from chattering too loudly. He never really like the cold anyway.

"Let's finish this conversation back home. There are better things to do there instead of chatting in the cold," Madam Arcloven's voice clipped briskly, and Nagan couldn't help but agree.

As they all headed towards the gate, Nagan witness a family disappear with a ripple just as they passed through. Oh yeah. That's a thing, Nagan thought with disdain. Az must have caught his disgruntled expression and elbowed him lightly. "This portal isn't as bad as the others. It's fixed to one place, making it more stable," Az assured, though Nagan begged to differ.

To Az's credit, he was right where it wasn't nearly as bad as the other portals he had to travel through. It left him a bit dizzy, but he could still hold himself upright. Though if it wasn't the portal that was gonna make him fall, it was gonna be where he found himself.

The first thing that caught his attention was an ebony staircase with dark green carpets lining the steps and gold on the railings leading up to the second floor. Taking a closer look at his surroundings, he quickly noted the black marble floors, jade pillars, clean white walls, gold-framed mirrors, and ornate rugs from the entrance to the stairs. As a habit to check the ceiling for the magical presence, only to be in the glory of an enormous gold chandelier with crystals, jade, and emeralds hanging off each delicate tendril.

"Go ahead and show Nagan to his room," Master Arcloven said to Az and nudged the boys towards the stairs. "We made it so it's right next to yours. You can meet us back in the family parlor, and we can talk more there."

Az nodded eagerly, now allowed to drop the formalities since they were no longer in the public eye, and tugged on Nagan's arm to get him moving. "Let's go! I'll show you the rest of the manor later, too, since you like to know your way around anyways."

Nagan followed almost numbly and tried not to gawk at everything. "And I thought Carvolier was extravagant. I knew you were rich, but not his rich!" he laughed.

"It's also like this because it's our turn hosting the Turn of the Year party. There's an unspoken rule about flaunting your wealth among higher mage families," Az shrugged and smiled sheepishly. "It's kinda embarrassing actually."

"Well, if it makes you feel better, this lowly peasant is impressed."

Az tilted his head back in laughter.

They made their way further towards the back of the manor, entering the more private living quarters. It was a gradual transition to the cold untouchable atmosphere to a more homey feel. Marble transitioned to wood, and pictures changed from portraits to serene sceneries.

"This is the door to my room," Az pointed out as he passed an engraved dark oak door, "And this is your room."

They stopped in front of a door similar to Az's, yet the engravings were different. It was as if the door was already personalized to his liking. Without hesitation, Az flung the door open and waltzed in with a grin. The room was about the size of their dorm room back in Carvolier, but instead of holding two beds, there was only one with the head of it pushed against the right wall. His trunk was already at the foot of the bed, but he knew it was empty once he saw the half-opened wardrobe at the opposite corner already holding his neatly folded clothes. A tall, empty bookshelf sat against the left wall and a writing desk was under the large window that looked out to the courtyard. There were some minor accessories scattered around, all dark green, gold, and black in classic Arcloven fashion, in the form of heavy curtains draped at the sides of the window and the leaves embroidered at the edges of the bedsheets.

Although the large space looked empty due to empty shelves and a desk without anything on it, it didn't feel empty at all to Nagan. In fact, it gave him a feeling he hadn't felt in a long time.

He felt like he was home.