Chapter 16 - A Tale Of Two Cities

Sometimes you don't realise where the last few days disappeared off to as you keep wondering if you suddenly went through some time leap

Sometimes you don't realise where the last few days disappeared off to as you keep wondering if you suddenly went through some time leap. When I have my time stuffed with my jobs, I feel the same way, but this last week, despite having no jobs up my time table, the days passed away in a flash. I don't know what ate up most of my time. Homework? Football? Staring at Alice in the classes from the corner of my eye from my seat on the front desk?

I cleared my throat. Whatever.

It was Saturday evening, and we were dressed up in tuxedos to attend the party organised by the Costellos. This was the only way to gain access to the fortress that their mansion was. What would be a better place to hide something than right under your nose? Today's job was an easy one. Slip in as guests, break into the facility in their basement, copy the data and leave.

Riannon was supposed to be my date while Alice would be Kaidon's. I really wanted to use rock paper scissors to decide that, at least a fifty per cent probability to be her temporary partner, but Kaidon had already announced to Ford that she was his fiancee, so I couldn't argue. But then again he and Riannon were supposed to infiltrate, so I might get my uninterrupted time with her.

We parked outside Alice's home. I didn't know why Kaidon was letting me know her address, but then again, he knew that I could find it out easily, not a big difference. He stepped outside the car to knock on her door. I did the same for a smoke.

"You really should stop smoking, Sey. It's not healthy." I heard Riannon's admonishing tone as she settled beside me.

"I don't care about living a long life, Ria," I said as I lit the cigarette with my lighter. At that moment, my eyes went to the front door open. I didn't even want to imagine how she convinced her father to go into this with us. Wasn't he an ex-agent? Didn't he realise how dangerous it could get?

Alice stepped outside, dressed in a black strapless gown. She went for a smoky eye makeup this time, dark but beautiful on her flawless face. Her dress hugged her curves perfectly, and the short length in the front gave us a partial view of her long slender legs. She didn't look like the innocent princess she did on the night of the skit. Right now, she looks like the goddess of seduction.

She glanced up at Kai, for a moment too long, and then smiled. I didn't know I had a heart until then; it started throbbing like crazy in my chest.

She hopped towards us, ahead of Kaidon, and I could see from the look on his face that she was having the same impact on him as she was on me. And unlike me, he probably still hadn't realised that he was in love with her. It wasn't that he was dumb or slow. Friendship just makes things complicated. He had seen her grow up from a child to a girl to a woman. I saw her as a woman right from day one.

"Seydon Cross, get that poison out of your mouth!" She yelled as she neared me, and pulled the cigarette out of my mouth, and I just let her do it without a protest.