h a c h i

"Sir, please take your seat. We are about to depart soon."

As Darcy was about to get into the jeep, he was yanked back suddenly. He looked back and realised Elizabeth was still behind him.

An awkward silence fell as the other passengers stared at Darcy expectantly.

"Lizzie! Over here!" Elizabeth turned and saw Thomas waving to her a distance away.

"Go sit with Thomas. I'll see you at our destination." Darcy jumped on the jeep and gestured for the soldier to start driving.

Coughing from the dust, Elizabeth stomped over to Thomas and boarded their assigned jeep quickly.

"Are you okay, Lizzie?" Thomas smiled at Elizabeth's silent anger written all over her face.

"Of course I am! Why wouldn't I be!" Elizabeth snapped and turned her body to face the window.

Thomas chuckled as their jeep started moving.

.-.

After a few hours, they had reached their destination.

"Another military base! What is the use of bringing me here!" Elizabeth cried in disappointment as the same grey building came into view.

"You wouldn't want to be left alone there when we all are here right?" Thomas joked as he helped Elizabeth down the jeep.

"Good to see all of you in one piece. The road has gotten a bit more rocky these days." Darcy came over to the four soldiers who were in the same jeep as Elizabeth before his gaze rested on her. Elizabeth shifted her weight nervously and turned her eyes to the ground.

"...Elizabeth, you also help them to carry the boxes in." After briefing the soldiers, Darcy turned and headed into the compound.

"Lizzie, follow us to get the boxes please." Thomas' voice seemed to have a calming effect on her. Cursing, Elizabeth went to help the others with the boxes. When everyone was finally done with unloading everything, Darcy instructed Thomas and her to collect the canned food from their jeep. Eager to eat something, Elizabeth rushed out to the jeep and rummaged through the boot but she could not find the canned food. Thomas checked the bags which were supposed to contain the food but it was empty and had a big hole on one side.

"Oh no! Someone must have stolen our food when we left the boot open!" Elizabeth cried.

"Wait, I heard something!" Thomas shushed Elizabeth and gestured her to follow him.

Both of them walked quietly to the bushes nearby and peered through the leaves.

Elizabeth nearly gasped but Thomas cupped her mouth in time.

There were a bunch of scrawny children crouching on the ground trying to use branches to open the canned food. The branches were sharpened but did lesser impact to the aluminium cover. The desperation of children driven by their intense hunger was palpable even to Elizabeth and Thomas.

"Let's go help them!" Elizabeth whispered to Thomas.

"Are you sure? Those children look quite dangerous..." Thomas started.

"Hey, we can help you open that!" Without waiting for Thomas to agree, Elizabeth stood up from her hiding spot.

"RUN!" The shock on children's faces faded as they bolted off with Elizabeth hot on their heels. Ignoring Thomas hollering for her, Elizabeth was just about to grab one of the children's shirt when she tripped over a tree branch.