Chapter Six

Chapter Six

The Doctor had to admit defeat.  There was absolutely no denouement he could think of that would not involve one or other of them getting hurt.  Particularly Nancy.  Dorothy had tried offering him platitudes but they fell on deaf ears.  The Doctor was absolutely stumped.  The Master seemed to always manipulate situations that had people injured - or worse - killed.

“Should I apply for planning permission?” Dorothy asked.

“Hmm,” the Doctor looked up.

“You have been sat in exactly the same position for three days now.”

The Doctor looked at the clocks.  “Oh, so I have.  It is just botherrring me that is all.”

Dorothy smiled.  “What is botherrring you?” she imitated his rolling r to a tea.  The Doctor gave her a withering look.  “Sorry.”

“I have got people in place and trying to find a way to settle this... but I cannot rrrresolve it without someone getting hurrrt.  I am scarrred for Nancy, Ace.  I do not mind admitting that.  I AM SCARRRED!”

Leaping up, disturbing Tremas from his lap, he waved his umbrella about in annoyance.  Almost poking Dorothy in the eye.  “Watch it!” she exclaimed as she ducked away from the quivering point.

The Doctor realised what he was doing and immediately placed it back by the side of the settee.  Dorothy finished her cup of tea and went back to the kitchen.  The Doctor followed her.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

“Checking for supplies,” she remarked.  “Not all of us can sit for three days contemplating one problem with no food!”

The Doctor smiled warmly.  “I am sorrry, Ace.” Gently he laid a hand on her shoulder, “Not been good company.”

Dorothy felt like a Queen when he touched her.  The lightest of touches meant so much to her.  If only she could tell him.  

Tremas purred around Dorothy’s ankles, arching his back up for a little commiseration fuss after having his comfortable nap so rudely interrupted.  Dorothy obliged.  Tremas mewed.  

“Tremas wants to go out,” The Doctor said.

“Well, let him out then!”

The Doctor slipped his hand from her shoulder and walked up to the door to let the cat out.  Then came back to Dorothy in the kitchen.  She was scribbling on a bit of paper.  

“Right!” she said.  “Got the essentials written here.  I’m going shopping.  Want to come?  Though I doubt Asda is your style.”

The Doctor shook his head.  Dorothy shrugged as she picked up her keys and bags.  The Doctor sat back down pondering on how to approach the next move.  He could not call in too many of his old friends otherwise the Master would panic and, he shuddered, all those innocents in that University.  The slaughter did not bear thinking about.

“AHA! OF COURRRSE!” He yelled.  “Brrrigadierrr  Lethbrrridge Stewarrrt!”

Chuckling to himself at the memory of watching the Brig punch the Master squarely on the chin as he made his way to the TARDIS.  He wanted to see that again, in slow motion, with zoom!

2

Turlough felt his mouth go dry as he faced twenty eager students waiting for his first lecture on Politics.  Thankfully, Nancy and Luke were in his class.  Turlough had to strongly resist the urge to call her Nyssa.  On closer inspection there were differences.  Very slight but they were there, he had to look really closely to find them.  A different spark to the eye.  A very different air about her.  He sighed away his memories before coming back to the present.  Quickly he checked his notes then addressed the eager youthful eyes wondering when he was going to start.