•T W E N T Y - E I G H T•

♪ But if you send for me, you know I'll comeAnd if you call for me, you know I'll run ♪{Lana Del Rey—Old Money}

And if you call for me, you know I'll run ♪
{Lana Del Rey—Old Money}

Johanna had never run so fast in her life.

"Screams from upstairs," one mercenary had said, jogging past her room, his stomps so loud they raised her from her fitful slumber.

Another soldier, sounding distressed and in a hurry, thundered by her door. "From the Lady's chambers?"

That last sentence prompted her to leap from her bed and shrug on a robe to follow them.

But upon entering the crowded Entryway, she paused at the sight of at least half the mercenaries gathered, speaking amongst themselves, not an ounce of wariness or alert in their slouched postures and relaxed demeanors.

"What is going on?" she said, hastening up to them, brows scrunched and hands on her hips. "Did someone not mention screams from upstairs?" She barged up to one of them, grabbing his shoulder. "Why is no one investigating?"

The man in question tensed and recoiled from her, his fingers fiddling by the hilt of his sword. "And who are you to interrogate us?"

Sneering at him as if he'd spat on her, Johanna crossed her arms. "It must be too dim for you to see, but I am the head housekeeper, and the Lady of the house is a friend. So, what is the situation?"

The guard shrank. "Ah, forgive me. Yes, there were screams. An... intruder."

Johanna's knees buckled and she nearly tumbled into the man. "An intruder? And you are all standing here for what reason? Why is no one checking on the Lady?"

Another man came forward; she recognized him as one of the soldiers who kept watch at the door at night. Tall, often with a tormented look about him, skilled at ensuring no one entered but those Harriet expected, he rubbed the back of his neck. "Yes, because that intruder was Prince Jules of Totresia. He asked me to be discreet, so..."

Without hesitation, Johanna padded up to him, her nose about to jam into his broad torso. "And you are certain it was him? It is a tad too dark to tell."

The man, unafraid of her shrieking, nodded. "He lowered his hood, and I would never forget that face, Miss. I let him out when he went on those walks of his, while he stayed here. There is no mistaking one such as him."

Johanna loosened up and exhaled in semi-relief. "Then return to your places, and I will go... check on the Lady."

They obeyed her, though some seemed to question her identity. Within minutes, the Entryway was empty but for its usual guard.

Still on edge, Johanna hoisted up to the second floor as fast as her trembling legs would allow.

Prince Jules? Showing up in the middle of the night? And... entering Harriet's chambers?