•T H I R T Y - F I V E•

♪ Livin' in ruins of a palace within my dreamsAnd you know we're on each other's team ♪{Lorde—Team}

And you know we're on each other's team ♪
{Lorde—Team}

Though Johanna slept somewhat soundlessly, she had no doubt Harriet had tossed and turned all night. She'd been rigid through the entire carriage-ride, tight-lipped when they arrived at the Inn, and too pensive as she peered out the window before bed. Being in the capital to attend the wedding of a man she might have developed feelings for couldn't be easy. And less so to see him wed such a lady as foul as Charlotte Geitz.

In times like these, Johanna missed Marguerite more than usual. Were she there, she'd have advice, insight on the royals. She would be a better help to Harriet's investigation than anyone else... and she would know where to look, who to ask about Johanna's mystery father. But Marguerite was Prudence, a Princess in the foreign land all Totresians hated.

It is unlikely I will ever see her again.

Allowed to wear a fancier dress than usual, Johanna couldn't help but squirm a tad, feeling pampered and pretty while not in her housekeeper outfit. The threads were silkier than any she'd ever worn before, and the luxurious stockings soft and sleek over her tired legs. Harriet lent her a pair of heeled slippers and spritzed some perfume onto her neck and wrists.

Harriet even helped her prepare, splashing powder over her cheeks and a rosy balm to her lips. She tousled and curled her raven locks that dipped down her back and swished over the belt of her gown. Johanna's hair had gotten long, much longer than she preferred it; but she'd been too occupied with other things to care.

The dress Victoria had conjured up for Harriet was divine, Johanna had to admit. In a pale, lime-green shade, it mimicked the current minimalist fashions, with bouffant sleeves and a frilly bodice. She looked stunning, a true Totresian Lady on the prowl; but it was obvious she didn't feel that way. Her features were sullen, sulking, sad, and Johanna wished she would smile, pretend to survive this event, and show the country how strong, how fierce she was.

Though the Chapel wasn't far from the Inn, it was improper to arrive on foot, so they entered their vehicle as early as possible, and hastened on to the wedding venue. Few of the guests had arrived, but hordes of curious uninvited townsfolk amassed at the doors, forcing the two Limesdale residents to squeeze through a barrier of Totresian royal guards.

Harriet wanted to find an isolated seat where none would bother or notice her. Johanna disagreed and wanted to urge her to take a spot up front and center, but there was no arguing with Harriet when she was in such a mood.

She is the boss, after all.

As the crowds poured in, Harriet became more and more tense. Individuals sighted her, studied her, and it took all her might to keep her chin up. Johanna whispered encouragements, but one wrong word would prompt Harriet's hardened exterior to shatter, she knew.