•F O R T Y - F O U R•

♪ Hey love, I won't hurt you, night will come and goI won't hurt you, you'll never dream alone ♪{Ashlee Simpson—Never Dream Alone}

I won't hurt you, you'll never dream alone ♪
{Ashlee Simpson—Never Dream Alone}

Biting her nails and scrubbing at the dried tears beneath her eyes, Johanna trudged up to Harriet's office. She hadn't been expecting a summons, since Harriet promised her time to herself, but to refuse—especially when the soldier said it was an order—would have worsened her woes.

In any case, she realized some air would do her well, even if it was only the stale, ever-dusty odor that permanently permeated the manor's halls. A bit of exercise, of stretching her stiff limbs, of pretending to be alive wouldn't be so bad.

But the instant she entered the office and found Harriet barefoot, pacing, clutching a letter in one hand and a glass of brandy in the other, she regretted not feigning a deep slumber.

She is drinking—that is never good.

"Harriet?" She shut the door behind her but didn't move, afraid of her mistress' unsteady stomps. "What is it?"

"This," said Harriet, brandishing the message, its golden seal glimmering in the firelight, revealing its royal nature. "Tell me—my father," she took a swig of her drink, "how did he seem when you saw him?"

Upper lip curling, Johanna crossed her arms and leaned against the door. "He... was his usual self. But locked up and aware he... had no power."

"Does he, though?" Harriet's fingers wrapped so tight around her goblet Johanna feared it would burst. "Does he have no power? Is he locked up? How are such things still happening, hm? And why do I keep thinking he is linked to that Duke who is linked to deeper, darker schemes that have more meaning than simply removing King Antoine from the throne?"

Johanna whistled. "Oh dear, you are quite animated." She grunted. "But you would know best. Overhearing your father's horrid affairs for so long... it makes sense you would think that. And you have suggested you were aware of the Duke of Terter's games at court."

"Yes, I knew that Duke was fickle, because Father mentioned it." Harriet took another gulp and winced as she swallowed. "And yes, he was involved with the Dowager, too. But even if she is no longer part of all this, I guarantee the Duke is. And he has allies in Totresia, he must. And in France. To orchestrate this... to plan this..."

"Harriet, what is happening?" Johanna finally dared to enter the room, and the closer she got to Harriet, the more she smelled the liquor on her breath.

How many glasses has she had?

"Prince Jules wrote to me," said Harriet, her voice lowering, tinging with a light, lustful intonation.

Johanna tried not to frown; it was the tone Harriet often adopted whenever speaking of the Prince she pretended not to care about. "Ah, so he has put you in such a mood, then?"