Chapter Twelve

Theo's POV

Empusa stood in front of me, grinning wide. Her long black hair was as unruly and frizzy as ever, and her mischievous attitude only intensified by the sparkle in her red eyes. Her body was covered in freckles. I always thought it was interesting how they formed in particular spots — her cheeks, her shoulders, or her forearms.

"I came to see my little brother!" she said, delighted. My heart sunk. Since she was so many thousands of years older than I was, she always acted like my mother. It was going to be embarrassing for Cyrus to see this.

"I am in hiding from Father," I gritted out.

"I know!" She strolled over to punch my arm. I groaned at the power behind it. Empusa was built like a horse — short, stalky, and muscular. "I think it's delightful! Father has not been this upset since Anton LaVey died and didn't go to Hell. ...Oh, what's this?"

I gritted my teeth as Empusa's gaze turned to Cyrus. "Oh, how cute! What is he, Theo?"

Cyrus poked his head out from behind the mailbox. "U-um. Excuse me. But lady, you need to put on some clothes."

Empusa's nose wrinkled and she turned to me. "What is that?"

"I still don't understand it," I stated gravely. "But Cyrus is obsessed with the concept. Come over here and meet him."

Empusa strutted over and held out her hand. "This is how humans greet, yes?"

Cyrus shook her hand and very clearly stared at her breasts. I imagine they were the first he'd ever seen. "Hi, I'm Cyrus."

Empusa looked down. "Hi Cyrus, those are my breasts. Please don't be rude. My name is Empusa, and I am your lover's sister."

Cyrus' face went red and he stood up to glare at me full-force. "Lover?!"

I shrugged easily. "Well, we have kissed passionately before. Empusa and I are both partially succubus, so we can tell the state of someone's innocence. Other demons can sense what I've done to you."

Cyrus blinked, brown eyes wide. "Dude, there's like so much Hentai about succubi."

Empusa stared at me. I gave her a look that hopefully conveyed that I didn't understand him either.

"Anyway, what are you doing here?" I asked. There were some humans that kept glancing our way, which reinforced that the clothes thing was, ridiculously, an important matter. "Make it quick please. Father can't trace me, but I'm sure he can trace you."

Empusa shrugged. "We all know that you want him to come and get you. Daddy's little boy, as usual."

I growled.

Cyrus pointed. "Why does she talk normal, but you always talk so awkwardly formal?"

Empusa shrugged. "Baby Theo has always been awkward. Anyway, I came to tell you that we've had a demon recently come to the land of the living. Obviously we're working on getting him back, but it would be nice if you help."

I did not need a job from Father when I was avoiding him. I pinched the bridge of my nose. "Who is it, please? And where about is he located?"

"Aamon," she growled. "Wolf-toothed bastard. Nobody knows why he chose now. Anyway, keep an eye out. And hey, I also wanted to see you! Smooches!"

I groaned as Empusa leaned in and kissed my forehead. In a flash of fire, she disappeared.

Cyrus immediately regained his composure and pride. He cleared his throat as though he hadn't just spent five minutes hiding behind a mailbox and staring at my sister's boobs. "So, uh, why is everyone freaking out that there's a demon if you're allowed to wander?"

I shrugged. "I'm too powerful for them to find."

In actuality, Father was probably not too worried about finding me. I'd only developed the power to possess humans and to light myself aflame. After all, I was only young.

My human paramour did not need to know that.

Cyrus poked my shoulder and leaned against me, suddenly all sweet and docile. "Hey, that was kind of adorable. You're totally the baby sibling, huh? She was all protective of you!"

My human was so annoying.

I kissed Cyrus' forehead and wrapped my arm around him. "I will truly have to kill you if you continue to talk about that."

"I'm too cute and fluffy for you to be able to kill."

Cute and fluffy were not the right words. Alluring and seductive? Absolutely.

When I hadn't answered for a while, Cyrus stopped. I could see his house from here, but I played along and stopped with him. We didn't need to rush back.

"Hey." His eyes were always the most heart-stopping when he was being serious. It was rare, but a delight. "That demon, Aamon...is he going to try to hurt you? Europe said why now...and the only thing I can think of if that you're gone now."

I glared. "My sister's name is Empusa. And no. He wouldn't be that stupid."

Aamon was an idiot. He was most well-known for trying to seduce human women and drinking himself into a daze. The only reason Father was worked-up enough to concern Empusa was because Aamon would leave behind a path of random cults and pregnant humans.

We started up our walk again, but Cyrus still glared at me while he walked. "You're not going to go running after him, right?"

I grinned. "Would you miss me if I did, human?"

"...Obviously."

His tone was so grouchy that I had to smile. This human was bringing out the angel in my blood steadily.

We reached his house and I grabbed Cyrus by the hand before we could go inside and be bombarded by his family. Cyrus blushed and leaned in.

"Why don't we kiss again tonight?" I asked, making Cyrus grin a little. "I miss the way that felt. And we don't need to worry about going too far."

"Why not?"

"I have a plan," I informed him. "If I think I will lose control, all I need to do is stare at that horrible bunny tattoo on your ass."

"Todd can't be your boner-killer!" Cyrus yelped, hovering a hand over his backside like he was trying to protect Todd from hearing. "Think about Empukey or whatever, your sister should turn you off."

"Empusa! And fine, whatever," I grumbled. "That will work too. Now let me kiss you. I didn't want to do it in front of your annoying friends."

Cyrus laughed and leaned in. "Fine, but stop calling my friends annoying. Aren't they your wise human counsel?"

I rolled my eyes and tugged my small human up against me. He felt so good in my arms. I enjoyed the way his hands came up to rest around my neck, and how he looked up at me with such a warm expression.

I leaned in to kiss him, only to hear the door open and—

"Cyrus!"

We both broke apart.

His mom propped her hands on her hips. "Cyrus, you did not tell me that this young man is your boyfriend! And to think, he slept in your bedroom!"

I groaned. Human parents were the worst.