Introduction

My long wavy red hair tumbled over my shoulders as I leaned closer to the mirror. My green eyes stared back at me in excitement for tonight as they glittered like gems against the black frame of my eyelashes as I applied some tinted lip balm. 

I shrugged my shoulders a little picking at the neckline of my dress as I examined the stark contrast between my pale skin and black bodice. It bothered me a little bit since it's difficult for me to get a tan because of how easily I burn, but there's not much that I can do about it. Oh, I should probably put some blush on. I glanced at my dresser and picked up the cream blusher that I had received as a gift for Christmas a while back. This looks awfully pigmented. I applied the lightest amount possible to add a bit of colour to my pale cheeks. A bit better.

I did a few turns in the mirror to admire my outfit. It was difficult finding an old-fashioned one that suited the theme of the party that Violet is hosting. The dress had an overall coverage of black that surrounded the patterned velvet blue through the middle with intricate black trimming. I looked at myself in the mirror again as the skirt of the dress flowed across the ground. Violet would probably get mad at me for barely wearing any makeup, but my skin is like porcelain, minus the few freckles from my mother. 

I looked at the time and realised that I'll be late if I wait any longer. I called out to my mom telling her that I was going. 

"Okay, Midnight! Be safe!" I heard her yell back.

"I will!"

I should be safe, Violet's house is only two blocks down from me. What's the worst that can happen? I thought to myself as I locked the front door. 

Living in Oakhart Blackfalls was pretty boring, it was a safe place where nothing intense happened, but people had been disappearing around here, and disappearances were bound to receive a lot of attention. 

I laughed out loud, who am I kidding? Each of the people who had disappeared returned safely, the only odd thing was that they couldn't recall what happened. 

I stopped walking for a second to clear my thoughts. I've got to stop letting my thoughts run wild and should focus on having fun. 

The cool breeze of the winter wind hit my face as I tried to control the smile on my face as I thought of Violet and knowing that she's throwing the party for me. Violet and I have been best friends since we were in the 7th grade. 

I loved Violet but she could be weird sometimes. I respect the choices she makes, but her dying her hair violet took some getting used to. She has a tendency to change the way she looks every so often. 

The vibrating beats of a song got louder as I turned the corner of the street and spotted the lit up yard of Violet's house. It was already in full swing, am I late? I looked at my watch and felt a bit of mild panic, I stopped for too long while I was thinking of the disappearances, Violet's gonna kill me.

I picked up my pace. As my hand rested on the knob of the door ready to twist it open, the music and sounds of chatter came to an unexpected halt. Huh?

I cautiously opened the door and couldn't see a thing, what happened to the lights?  I fumbled around the entry to find the light switch when everything came back to life again and a deafening scream of "Happy Birthday Midnight!" echoed through the silent night. 

I yelled in surprise as I placed a hand against my panicked heart. I already knew the party was for me, but I didn't expect this. I looked around at all the familiar smiling faces and felt a small tug in my heart at the thought of being appreciated this much.