2. WEDNESDAY, TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL 10 AM - Mia POV

I walked into the school with my things. My mom texted me earlier, her flight was delayed by 15 minutes. I looked around and checked in again for my solo debate. I looked around at a few people and sat down. I saw the teacher who checked me in here yesterday. She was looking around and talking with two men. I saw her look at me and point towards me. I turned around and sat down. After a few minutes phones started to go off. I looked at mine and stood up all while the others talked about who they got and what not.

"It's not amateur hour people," I stated as Daisy joined me walking down the hall. I walked to the classroom and set up. I looked over my paper once more. I turned my head as I saw the boy come in. I already had everything ready. He set up and looked at me. I stuck out my hand and he shook it.

"Troy, Troy Arellanes," he said. I gave a strong firm shake.

"Evelyn Strauss," I stated. He nodded. I saw the teacher who checked me in the other day with two men come in with a lot of other people. I looked at my paper once more. I then grabbed it and put it face down next to my adjustable laptop stand. I looked at the computer and pressed play on the video. My volume was already off.

"Ms. Strauss you'll be arguing the affirmative and Mr. Arellanes the negative," a judge said. I nodded. "Ms. Strauss your time begins...now." He clicked his watch and I began.

"Resolve, The United States should implement uniform legislation related to the right to keep and bear arms," I stated. I gave my speech never once looking at the paper or my computer. I knew it was making him nervous. I finished my speech at 7 minutes and 58 seconds. I know because I had time myself giving the speech in a timely manner while getting everything in.

"Mr. Arellanes, your time begins...now," the judge stated.

"Negative, the United States should not implement a uniform legislation pertaining to the right to keep and bear arms," he stated. I smiled and looked at him. He changed his beginning statement, he still messed up saying when he said "implement a", it's just implement. He fumbled a bit as well. When it was over I could tell he was under 8 minutes. The zone for timing to be in is 7.45 to 8 minutes. Not over or under and he fell under.

"Vote goes to the affirmative," a judge said. They stood up and left. I closed my laptop and undid my set up quickly.

"You're okay. Try not to fumble, remember to breathe," I said. "And try not to make it so obvious that you changed your statements wording next time."

"You're good," he stated. I could tell people were looking at us. I smiled as I grabbed my things and began to walk out of the room.

"I'm not good...I'm the best," I stated. I turned around and walked out. My phone rang and I looked at my next challenge.

Halfway during the break I saw my mom and she hugged me.

"I've been here all of four minutes and I know you put the fear of god in all of them," she said and I laughed.

"I competed against a freshman today," I said, "He was good, not better than me, but good." My mom mhmmed as she hugged me from behind and rested her chin on my forehead.

"You okay, I saw Jason," she said. I rolled my eyes and nodded.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I haven't actually seen him yet, Daisy saw him and told me," I stated.

"Daisy...you know, are you enemies or friends. I never know," she said.

"We have mutual respect for one another, but will gladly bury the other six feet under ground during competition," I explained. My mom laughed and kissed my head.