3. FRIDAY, TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL 12PM - Mia POV

"Resolve: The United States should implement uniform legislation related to the right to keep and bear arms as well as require universal background checks for all arm sales and transfer of ownership," I stated. I began my speech; it was better and stronger than the last ones I've given. It's the final round. Me and Daisy. Daisy just looked at me and wrote things down.

We're in the basketball gym. A small stage was put up and two tables. I made hand motions and spoke with a firm yet calm tone. One-minute left.

"We argue about implementing stricter legislation and law around gun control. This school is the perfect reason why. Two decades ago a boy walked into this school with a gun and fired a shot, putting this school into a lockdown; injuring one student who survived, yet two people died that day...Sandy Hook Elementary, 27 victims, 20 were just kids, first graders who would be in 8th grade today, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, 17 killed, many injured...How many more students, brothers, sisters, aunt, uncles, mothers, fathers, and friends have to die before stricter legislation is enacted." I finished my speech and looked at the computer 7 minutes 59 seconds.

No one clapped or anything. I looked at Daisy who smiled with a shake of her head.

"Negative, The United States should implement uniform legislation related to the right to keep and bear arms as well as require universal background checks for all arm sales and transfer of ownership," Daisy stated. She went on and gave her points. When done we both shook hands and looked at the judges.

"The Beacon School," the announcer said. I smiled and shook hands with Daisy again.

"Who could possibly win after mentioning the schools," she said. I nodded.

"I had it easy," I stated.

"Hell, yeah you did," she said as we packed our things.

We went to the winners table and were given our trophies; pictures were taken and we shook hands again for the camera. The author came forward with a blonde, the teacher, and a raven-haired woman.

"Congratulations," he said. I just nodded and turned to Daisy. I waived bye to her and she promised to bury me at the next meet. I laughed with a nod. "We should talk," the author said. My mom nodded and I heard a loud clap, followed by five others. I turned my head as did my mom.

"My girl," he said and I looked at him a bit shocked. "That was great, outstanding. Perfect, you nailed everything on the board."

"What are you doing here?" I asked a bit shocked.

"I wanted to surprise my girls...Did I do a good job?" he asked.

"We're definitely surprised," Mom said as he went to her. He gave her a hug and kiss.

"Lunch, let's celebrate her win," he said.

"I know a great Café in town. It's small, homey, comfortable," My mom said. He looked at her.

"I was thinking five courses, but if that's what my girls want then let's go," he said.

"I thought you couldn't afford five courses," I muttered.

"What?" he said.

"Nothing," I said and he nodded.

We walked to the jeep and my mom drove. We drove in the downtown area for a while until she found the café. She parked in front of it and we got out. We walked inside and she was right. It was small, comfortable, and there were books on the tables. We sat at one and a waitress came up with the menu. He looked at the menu and around almost as if he was disgusted. We then ordered the food. We were silent, not talking at all. We ate in that silence when the food arrived.