GURAS STONE I

Guras saw himself stepping into the river. He felt the pain of the ice cold water and saw the shocked expression on his face. It was cold. Too cold. There was more. The flow was disturbed. It moved like it had a mind of its own. Like it was wrapping itself around his leg, freezing it. Pulling him in. He willed the tree to help him get out. The tree responded with a woeful shriek. It was like it was in pain. It was too late to help. He felt himself sinking lower and lower. Helpless. 

Guras woke up with a startle as the sounds of metal swords clashing reached his ears. His joints ached from sudden jolt back into reality from the nap. He glanced around to get his bearings. He let of a sigh of relief when he saw the two identical towers - The Watching Twins. Towers that kept watch on the forests below the cliff they stood on. He calmed and gazed at the two boys sparring, his mind drifting to the dream he just had. The signs are getting more obvious and the dreams scarier. And yet Guras, as wise as one can be after sixty years of living, had no clue what it all meant. What are you trying to tell me? What does it all mean? Guras pondered perplexed, his eyes fixed on the match in front of him. All these years, he had been able to see and understand so clearly all the signs he saw in Nature. He could see everything before it happened. A gift from the Gods they called it. He called it an educated guess. This time, there were too many signs. But the message, elusive. He didn't know why, but he knew it was important enough to prepare for. The only thing he was absolutely sure about was that the empire should be united before whatever the evil that was coming, arrived. But how was he to ensure that? He was just a common teacher in West Nation.   

Guras broke his thoughts and decided to focus on his two best students duelling in front of him. It has been a while since I spoke. He though as his mind scanned the fight, searching for any errors he could voice. "Keep your sword arm higher Boros." He spoke loud enough for the student to hear and correct his mistake but distracting him just enough to lose his footing. 

"Never forget to watch your footing." Guras continued, closely watching the jabs and cuts. He let his eyes drift to the student Boros was fighting. It was another talented student he held close to his heart. Mark was a talented young boy and the grandson of his best friend, Mako Crater. He wasn't supposed to choose favorites but deep down he knew Mark was one. Mark was better at sword fighting and had a good control over Earth Crafting. He saw Mark break his defense and go for the strike. But Boros was waiting for the offensive move. The clean deflection of Marks strike by Boros brought a smile to Guras face. 

Boros had the right temper for the art of fighting. No one could break his spirit. Keeping the spirits up was important in a different skill. One that Guras knew he needed to teach both his students today. He saw the expression on Marks face change as his other two strikes were deflected as well. 

"Calm yourself Mark and think a few steps ahead. Get into the mind of the person you are fighting." Guras advised calmly, observing the change his words brought in Mark. He is too eager to calm down and think. Guras thought to himself. He watched as Mark got back into a defensive mode and deflect the next two retaliation strikes from Boros. His eyes noticed a slight change in the attack patterns of Boros and that caught his interest. He keenly observed the moves, his curiosity spiking. Just as he recognized what Boros was going to do, Boros had successfully disarmed a surprised Mark. Guras clapped his hands slowly and got up smiling. "Well done Boros. Who taught you that sly move?" Guras congratulated. 

"Father and I practiced it a few days ago. He said special moves are a must if I'm to participate at The Elite Games." Boros beamed back proudly.

The Elite Games was a sport held every five years to select five of the best soldiers of the empire. The winners were known as the Five Elite Wolves that guard the King. It was the highest prestige in the empire and Guras knew these boys had their eyes set on it since they could walk. But whether they were ready for it now, was a completely different question.