Chapter 19

Megamind...

At that moment, you felt your nails digging into your palms as your hands balled into fists, ready to swing at the first person that came too close, most likely Megamind.

"What do you want?" Roxanne asked in annoyance while cracking the door open without undoing the chain lock.

"Titan's turned evil." You heard Megamind's voice that sounded strangely squished, he must've been squeezing his face through the door to ensure it wouldn't be closed.

You rolled your eyes, not the slightest bit surprised. Hal was the most arrogant and delusional person you'd ever known, and that says a lot. Even you could tell after such a harsh (but well deserved) slap in the face of reality from Roxanne that something like this was gonna happen, and clearly she wasn't surprised either, but for a different reason.

"Congratulations! Another one of your 'genius' plans has backfired on you." The reporter sassed.

"...And why did my doorman let you up?" She added after a moment, and you saw Megamind's gloved hand present a glowing blue cube, meaning he'd used the dehydration gun.

Roxanne gasped, whispering with concern: "Carlos..." before she angrily tried to force the door shut again.

"Wait-- Roxanne, no! No..." Megamind pleaded, and much to your irritation she complied.

"I need your help." He admitted.

You wanted to slip through that door and kick him where it hurts most.

"He lied to us, and now he wants help?" You mentally hissed.

"Why do you need my help?" Roxanne questioned as she rolled her eyes.

"...Because you're the smartest person I know." He answered after a quiet sigh, and Roxanne's stern expression softened. She looked back at you to see your angry glare. You quickly shook your head, hoping she'd be on your side, but, as you should've expected, she sighed herself and unlocked the door.

"But you can't hide here." She warned before the blue menace raced in, stopping in his tracks the second he saw you.

"(Y-Y/n)?" He gaped slightly, taking a step towards you and reaching out.

Mistake.

You scowled at him as harshly as possible, smacking his hand away at full force. He recoiled and shouted in shock, and Roxanne was surprised as well.

"Stay away from me, traitor." You growled, standing up and walking toward the door to get your skateboard. But Roxanne grabbed your arm and held your shoulder with her other hand, stopping you from going any further.

"What's going on? I thought you admired him?" She inquired, and you just glared at the door before muttering:

"Not anymore." For some reason, there was an odd pain in your chest after you said those words, as if they weren't truthful... but... they were! 

...Weren't they..?

"W-What?" Megamind sounded genuinely confused, and that just angered you further.

You spun around and crossed your arms, freeing yourself from Roxanne's grip. You decided to respect Minion's opinion of Megamind despite all, and refrained from lunging at him.

"Did you really believe you could lie to my face and expect to get away with it? I'm not as gullible as you seem to think. Minion and I trusted you, and you stabbed us in the back!" You huffed, and Megamind seemed stunned.

"Wait... what are you..?" Before he could finish, you repeated his own words.

"'I'm just a child, so I'll believe anything you say'... Tch, give me a break." You groaned, noticing some kind of emotion you couldn't decipher within his emerald green orbs.

"I... How did you..?"

"Neo. Unlike you, he's smart enough to know that I deserve to know the truth, even if it hurts me. He saw right through your little scheme." You explained, turning your back to him again.

"I... I see..." He said, then he started mumbling to himself, seemingly dismissing the current subject... just like the coward he often is.

You heard him say something about copper after a bit, and Roxanne followed him over to the window while asking questions until Megamind pointed outside.

"Look, if we don't find Titan's weakness, he'll destroy the whole city."

"What does he care if the city's demolished? He never seemed to mind when he wreaked havoc in the past..." You furrowed your brow, that strange pain in your chest returning for a bit.

There was a small pause before Roxanne spoke again.

"...Okay, how can I help?" She asked, and you sighed, kicking yourself for hoping Roxanne would turn him away in the end.

"We need to find answers. You knew Metro Man best. Did he have a hideout? A cave? A solitary fortress of some kind? Anything that would give us clues." He questioned.

Roxanne seemed to think for a moment, then, out of nowhere, you found yourself asking:

"What about that schoolhouse?"

One of the first few memories you had with Metro Man was when he brought you to a small, schoolhouse that'd withered with age, but was still standing tall. It was his secret hideout, though you couldn't remember what the inside looked like.

The two looked at you in shock, then Roxanne nodded, giving you a smile.

"That's a great idea." She grabbed keys from her desk before picking up your helmet and walking over to you, gingerly placing it on your head for you. You'd been in such a hurry to leave earlier you'd actually forgotten about it...

"Let's go... (Y/n)." She winked, opening the door for you.

You let out a heavy sigh, grabbing your skateboard and practically dragging yourself out, knowing you wouldn't be able to escape this any time soon.

(So sorry this took so long, my mom had surgery recently so I've been looking after her, plus school's had me extra distracted. I hope you don't mind. ''xc Thank you for reading this story despite the wait, it means a lot to me. <3)