Chapter 21

Mistakes are often made when emotions get the better of us, and your current situation was a perfect example. You'd been so caught up in fleeing that you'd left your skateboard behind in Roxanne's van, so you had to walk the whole way back to your hiding place, and as if that weren't bad enough, you also had to partially go through the city to get here.

It was obvious trouble would soon follow.

You'd been trying so hard to stay hidden the moment you saw his laser vision wreaking havoc on the streets, but you were bound to be seen eventually.

So now here you were, being held up by one leg, at least a hundred feet off the ground.

"Scared yet?" Hal snickered, but you weren't fazed. After everything that's happened today, you still couldn't bring yourself to care about much of anything. Part of you was still mad that you'd lost your helmet as he dragged you away, but there was nothing you could do about it now.

"Nope." You responded flatly, and he growled.

"Fine! How about we just go higher then?" He threatened, trying to sound dangerous, but you still didn't flinch.

If it were anyone else, you'd probably be shaking and begging for mercy, but Hal just wasn't an intimidating person, not even with superpowers. You wondered if he had the guts to actually let you fall, but you knew that if he did you'd surely meet your end. As empty as you felt, you didn't want to die in a place like this; stuck in a burning city that was quickly losing all hope of rescue... it was just too sad.

"What's the point of doing this? It's not gonna make you feel better. You might think you're doing something for now, but what about when it's all over?" You spoke without really thinking.

Your question seemed to frustrate the maniac in tights a bit.

"That's what you think. I've never felt better! Getting payback  is like icing on the cake." He spat, shaking you around in a pitiful attempt to rattle you. 

"I did what I did because I admired somebody. We all do stupid things for people we care about, right?" You sighed, and the shaking stopped for some reason.

You didn't hear him reply this time, so you just kept talking, not really knowing why.

"I adored Megamind more than you could ever understand. Everything I did for all this time was just for him. He made me feel like I had a purpose, like I could actually be somebody... But that dream wasn't meant to last, I guess."

Hal lifted you up to look at your face, and that was when he finally noticed the tears that'd dried on your cheeks. You stared at him, and for a moment you thought you saw a hint of empathy in his eyes... but all of a sudden his head jerked to the side and he seemed to be looking down at something.

He huffed and flipped you back right-side up, holding you in one arm with ease, then descended back down into the city. It was there that you saw Roxanne all alone, with the van parked a few feet away.

She let out a gasp when she saw you, but quickly calmed herself as Hal spoke, he was clearly unaware of her concern for you.

"Let me guess; After seeing how awesome I am, you've finally come to your senses. Well, I'm over you." Hal gave Roxanne the most annoying smile you'd seen in a long time, it was terrible, even for him.

"I've come to stop you, Hal." The reporter spoke calmly.

"You shouldn't've come back here... Now we're both right where he wants us!" You thought, trying to wriggle your way out of the red-head's grip, but to no avail. He simply tightened his grip a bit before walking closer to Roxanne with a laugh.