Chapter 3

The few class periods before lunch passed without a hitch. A lot of the same things Logan was used to. It would be hard, after all, to surprise someone at their sixth high school. As he walked down the hall into the cafeteria, however, Logan felt a feeling in the pit of his stomach. He didn't think it was excitement, but couldn't be sure. He paused near the start of the lunch line.

"Logan!" A nearly-familiar voice rang out. His eyes shot to the boy who called, "Over here when you're done!" Levi's voice traveled over the roar of the cafeteria with ease. Few students looked up, preoccupied with their own lunch time gossip. Logan gave a quick nod of agreement and headed towards the table. He still had the morning's pop-tarts in his bag, they would do for lunch today.

"Hey, man," Levi greeted as he approached, "Guys this is Logan. I have Chem with him, he just moved here." Levi turns his attention back to Logan, "Have a seat dude."

Logan sits between Levi and a girl with shoulder-length brown hair. She gives him the kind of smile that makes him feel instantly more welcome as she sticks out her hand for an introduction.

"Hi Logan, I'm Gemma," She gives him a soft, yet commanding squeeze as she releases his hand. She points to the girl opposite herself, "That's Alice and next to her is Ian. Normally Jason would be here too, but he's out today.Apparently he has strep?" She poses that last part to Ian.

"Yeah that's what he said. I don't think he went to the doctor, though, so I'm not really sure I believe him."

And with that the table gets lost in conversation. No one notices that Logan is only eating one and a half pop-tarts for lunch. At lease if they did, they don't mention it, for which he's grateful. Occasionally he'll answer a question, always a bit vague. But, for the most part, he remains content to listen.

After a while Levi checks his phone and turns to Logan, "Lunch is about to end, where you headed to next?"

Again Logan unfolds his schedule to have it taken from his hands. He tries not to react and only clenches his fists a bit this time, close to the table.

"Levi," Gemma says from his left, "I'm quite certain he could read it to you himself. Give it back." She has a playful tone to her voice, but her eyes aren't joking. Levi does as she asks, giving them both a sheepish look as he turns the paper back over.

"Sorry man."

"No worries," Logan replies, "It looks like I'm headed to History next though. Ms. Johnston."

"Ugh, she's the literal worst," Sighs the girl to his adjacent. Logan believes her name is Alice, but couldn't be sure.

"She's not that bad, Al," Gemma turns to him, "But that's where I'm going next if you want me to show you."

And in that moment, as if she summoned it, the bell rang to signal the end of lunch. Logan nods in agreement.

"Yeah, thanks. If you don't mind."

"Of course I don't mind, I offered," Gemma breezes, "We're gonna end up at the same place anyhow, right?"

"I suppose you're right."

"Of course I am," She gives him a bright grin before turning to lead him out of the cafeteria. She throws a, "Hurry up now," Over her shoulder, leaving Logan no choice but to follow in her wake.