Part 20

By the time every child had been escorted back to his or her home, the clouds had grown rather heavy overhead and upon reaching Pemberley none of the ladies could be persuaded to bid farewell to Daniel without inviting him in for a few moments to warm up by the fire and take some refreshments.

Daniel, who was encouraged to accept their offer of hospitality by the bright smile Georgiana wore more than any of the maternal fussing of the other two ladies, was whisked into the Pemberley parlour and forced into a chair close to the fire which, he had to confess, was very comfortable indeed. He kept his own fires low, often shivering a little against the cold but reluctant either to spend out for firewood or to be seen as anything less than self-sacrificing, as befitted a clergyman. He did not complain at being afforded an opportunity to rest and warm up.

"Mr Lambert!"

Mr Darcy's voice was brisk as he crossed the threshold and strolled into the room. All three ladies vanished upon his arrival, as Mrs and Miss Darcy mumbled some excuse about securing refreshments and stowing bonnets and shawls safely away, and Mrs Gardiner whisked her children back up to the nursery, promising to return just as soon as she had located her errant husband. Daniel stood to greet his host.

"Mr Darcy." He smiled, a little nervously, for Darcy wore a frown that made his handsome features appear rather stern in the dim afternoon light.

"I hear you are to join us for Christmas," he remarked, sitting down and gesturing for Daniel to do the same.

"Y-yes." Daniel folded his hands in his lap. "That is to say, Miss Darcy invited me, but I, of course, do not wish to impose..."

"There is no imposition." Darcy's frown darkened and he appeared to be observing Daniel rather closely. Never fond of scrutiny, Daniel particularly suffered under this, for he liked Darcy and longed to be liked by him in return. He thought it possible the two might one day become friends, but there was the complication of Georgiana. He would not be able to tell, surely, that Daniel's heart was in very real danger of being lost to Darcy's pretty sister merely by looking at him?

"The invitation ought to have come from me, and for that, I apologise." Darcy steepled his fingers, resting his chin on their point and regarded Daniel carefully. "I have a confession to make, Mr Lambert, and I shall do it quickly, while the ladies are out of earshot."

Daniel's heart began to beat rather rapidly. He was unsure where Darcy was going and feared some great secret was about to be shared which he was ill-equipped and ill-prepared to hear.

"Oh?" He swallowed, praying Darcy had not noticed the high pitched squeak his voice had become.

"I have made a few enquiries into your family, Lambert. I am not fond of gossip, nor do I indulge in it." Here the frown darkened into almost a scowl. "But I felt some flare of recognition at your name. My path crossed once or twice with your brother."

Daniel felt the colour drain from his cheeks.

"Oh."

"How is he doing, now?"

The kindness with which Darcy formed these last words was so startling that Daniel jolted in his seat and glanced up, no less surprised to see that same kindness etched into his host's features.

"Oh, he...he...manages," Daniel managed, at last. What else could he say? There was no great hope of recovery, but Robert seemed at least to be surviving from one week to the next. At last as far as Daniel could tell. Mama's notes never dwelt too long in details, but he knew her well enough to read between the lines for all she did not say concerning her son's wellbeing.

"You ought to get him up here sometime," Darcy said, leaning back in his chair and in so doing prompting Daniel to relax. "There are fine spa towns all up and down the dales which might be of some benefit. I know many people seek convalescence there."

"Thank you, Mr Darcy. It is certainly something to consider. Only -"

The door opened again and the rest of their party swept in, Georgiana straying almost immediately to the piano.

"Oh, what a lovely idea, Georgie!" Mrs Darcy said, greeting her husband with an embrace and settling comfortably into the chair nearest to him. "Play something for us."

"Are you not exhausted with music after your morning's exertions?" Darcy asked, shooting a wry look at Daniel, who managed to manufacture a smile in return. He could not quite track Darcy's moods yet, but could not fail to notice how the presence of his wife had a softening effect on him, making him instantly easier to be around.

"Oh, hush!" Mrs Darcy said, elbowing her husband in the side and exchanging some look with him that Daniel could not begin to fathom.

Georgiana began playing and Daniel felt his nerves relax. She was a talent, indeed, but there was more than mere mechanical skill to her playing. She seemed truly at one with the music, and he was more delighted than anyone when she consented to play a second piece for them. This was a little slower at first, more halting, as if she had but recently begun to learn it and was not yet master of it. Daniel listened only for a bar or two before straightening in his seat.

"Oh, but this is the piece we danced to -" He caught himself too late, flushing and hiding his head in one hand at the juvenile expression of delight. To his relief, though, nobody seemed to mind his reaction. In fact, the look that was exchanged between Mr and Mrs Darcy suggested that they had been only too aware of this detail and it had, perhaps, been planned that way. Daniel sank back into his seat, his eyes on the dancing flames as he listened to Georgiana play the piece that once they had first heard together, and thanked Providence that, whatever unhappy circumstance had led to him taking on the role of curate to this parish, it had also brought him into a circle that contained people like these. Friends. His eyes lifted to Georgiana, bent over her piano as she continued to play, and he swallowed his smile. True friends...