Part 24

Lizzy was certain she had never enjoyed a carol concert more. She was not sure whether it was the skill of the performance - for she had seen the choir when it was first formed and could remember only too well how tuneless and distracted the children had been - or the fact that when faced with so many shiny-faced children it was impossible not to smile, but the concert was an unmitigated success. There were calls of encore even before the last note finished sounding and the cheers and laughter of the families all around them were contagious. At last, the applause died down enough that Mr Lambert could step forward to address his congregation.

"I think we might all agree that the children of our village are some of the most talented in the county, if not the whole of England!" he declared, which garnered still more applause and was, Lizzy thought, a very canny way to win the immediate affection of every mother seated in the church.

"I hope to see all of you tomorrow morning to celebrate our saviour's birth - and trust that you will all take some time to enjoy the holiday festivities. A chance to rest and enjoy time with loved ones."

Here, his gaze strayed to the right of the church and Lizzy could not help craning her neck to see what had caught his attention. It was not Georgiana, who sat to the left, and Lizzy felt a tiny flicker of indignance on her sister-in-law's behalf. In fact, there was something different about Mr Lambert that evening. It could not simply be nerves about the concert, for if that had not been a success it would certainly not have reflected badly upon him, but upon Georgiana, which was one reason she and Darcy had cheered first and loudest of all. She strained a little more, wishing she were taller and Darcy turned to look at her, arching an eyebrow in surprise.

"Is something the matter?" he whispered.

"I am trying to see who Mr Lambert looked at when he said loved ones."

"Did he look at anyone in particular?" Darcy asked, with an amused smile. "I thought he was speaking to the assembled crowd, reminding us to put aside our petty differences and desire for solitude in honour of the season." He spoke with grim resignation, but Lizzy knew him well enough now to see that he was teasing her. She elbowed him in return, ignoring the sharp intake of breath that drew a concerned glance from the older gentleman sitting in front of them.

"You shall court a scandal of your own if you do not be still," Darcy said, struggling not to laugh at the look of utter disappointment Lizzy wore when the people in front of them began to stand and make their way forward to collect their children and return home. There was no way to see the front pew now for her view was utterly obscured by bodies and she let out a sigh.

"I thought I saw someone I did not recognise."

"Really." Darcy raised his eyebrows. "A stranger. At Christmas. You do not think, perhaps, that many people have family and friends visiting them for the season?" He nodded pointedly towards Mr and Mrs Gardiner, who had escaped the confines of the pew just in time to separate George and Alexander from a prank involving a lighted candle that, if unchecked, could well have ended in disaster.

"I know we have family visiting, but I am trying to determine if, perhaps, Mr Lambert has guests also."

Darcy frowned, and Lizzy could tell that he was now almost as curious as she was.

"Let's ask him!"

Lizzy was on her feet in an instant and felt rather than saw her husband hurry after her, certain that he was coming only to keep his wife from interfering where she was not welcome.

"Mr Lambert! Oh, wasn't the concert wonderful?" Lizzy asked, waving to catch the eye of their curate.

Mr Lambert turned at the sound of her voice, his smile dropping slightly as he recognised her and Lizzy frowned, wondering if he was disappointed she was not Georgiana, or if he had anticipated someone else altogether.

"Don't you think the children did a good job?" she persisted, and was a little gratified when he recovered himself quickly, nodding and smiling in agreement.

"And Miss Darcy," she put in, ignoring the sharp intake of breath from her husband. She turned to look at him and Darcy, whose face wore what anyone else would recognise as a scowl, gave his wife a look of exasperated affection at her evident determination to proceed with all haste in matching the pair she had decided would be perfect for one another.

"Yes," Mr Lambert said, at last, his expression clearing for a moment. "Yes, she did wonderfully. I ought - I ought to congratulate her."

"Oh, look, there she is!" Lizzy said, pointing out Georgiana who stood with the last of the children, speaking to a tall, sallow-looking gentleman and an older-looking lady dressed in an elegance that looked almost out of place in the homely chapel.

"I'm not sure who that is she is speaking to," Lizzy mused aloud, turning to Darcy for an explanation, but he, too, seemed confused. "Do you know them, Mr Lambert -"

Before she could finish her question, however, Mr Lambert strode towards the trio, almost at a run, and Lizzy and Darcy were left alone, blinking after him in confused silence.