Part 28

Christmas morning was cold and wet, but not even the most inclement of weather could dampen Lizzy's spirits as she sat down at the elegant breakfast table opposite her husband.

"Merry Christmas!" she declared, as he reached for a steaming cup of coffee.

"Merry Christmas," he replied, saluting her with his cup. "Although we have already exchanged that greeting at least three times so far this morning."

"And is there a limit on festive greetings?" she replied, undaunted and breaking into a laugh at the tiny smile he permitted in acknowledgement of her comment.

"You are happy then, I take it?" he asked, his voice gentle and filled with love.

She nodded, piling her plate with food.

"Happy...and hungry! Where is Georgiana?"

Lizzy was eager for her sister-in-law to appear for more reasons than that they might begin their meal. She had witnessed the whispered conversation that had taken place between Daniel and Georgiana the previous night at a distance and had been unwilling or unable to press Georgiana for details yet. Everybody had been so tired that upon their return to Pemberley they had all retired to their respective beds, eager to snatch a few hours' sleep before the morning and Lizzy had been forced to sit on her questions. What did Mr Lambert say? What did you say? And has anything been agreed? She fidgeted in her seat as if her eagerness to discover the truth made it impossible to sit still and Darcy shot her an amused grin.

"I am sure she will be just as eager to tell you what was discussed as you are to ask her," he remarked, looking remarkably unruffled for a gentleman whose only sister may just have become engaged. Lizzy opened her mouth to tell him as much but watched as his eyes darted to the door at the sound of footsteps - belonging to a servant and not his absent sister - and realised that he was just as eager to know the truth as she, although hiding it remarkably better.

"I do not see how he can fail to love her!" she declared, privately promising herself that if Daniel Lambert did intend on breaking Georgiana's heart, just as she had begun to open it again, then he would have Elizabeth to answer to.

"It has all happened rather quickly," Darcy murmured, surveying his own plate, and eventually abandoning propriety to begin. "We might as well start. She will be along soon I'm sure." He took a bite and swallowed. "I agree with you that it is impossible to think of him not loving her. The poor fellow could not conceal his heart so well as all that, and I wager even I saw through his feigned indifference. But -"

"But?" Lizzy squawked. "What but? If he loves her, and she loves him, why, there is nothing to lose!"

"You would have them married before the new year, I suppose," Darcy remarked, drily. "And before anyone is used to the idea." He did not say until I have borne with the inevitable volcanic eruption from my aunt when she hears of this. Lizzy pursed her lips. Lady Catherine de Bourgh had been no less amused by the notion of Darcy marrying a humble Elizabeth Bennet; she would surely not rejoice over a penniless curate. Lizzy swallowed. Mr Lambert was not penniless, exactly, and if Darcy's research was to be believed, his father was almost as much a gentleman as Darcy's own had been, albeit one who had fallen on hard times over the years.

The door to the dining room flew open and Georgiana, looking radiantly happy, slipped into her own seat opposite her brother.

"Good morning!" she said, with a beaming smile. "Merry Christmas!"

Neither Darcy nor Elizabeth replied, until at last Lizzy could stay silent no longer.

"Well?" she demanded, biting hard on her lip to keep from squealing. "Is that all you have to say, Merry Christmas as if you have not kept your brother and I on absolute tenterhooks for the last eight hours?"

"Have I?" Georgiana asked, although her smile betrayed that she knew precisely that she had and had rather enjoyed being the keeper of secrets for once. Particularly secrets that were so happy, at such a time as this. "I certainly did not mean -"

"You did!" Lizzy challenged her. "But I shall forgive you on the spot if you will only put us out of our misery immediately and tell us that Mr Lambert is as desperately in love with you as you are with him. Tell me, Georgiana, is all settled?"

"All is...almost settled," Georgiana said, looking a little pink-cheeked and nervous at delivering this news. "We have not spoken of - of marriage, but I am persuaded that he feels the same way that I do." She blinked, ruefully. "Of course, he has rather a lot to think about before that happens, with the Christmas services at church and the Boxing Day visits around the parish, and -"

"But he does care for you?" Lizzy persisted.

Georgiana said nothing, her eyes dropping to her plate. The smile she could not quite conceal betrayed her and Lizzy seized upon it, letting out a delighted, if a little unladylike, shriek.

"I knew it! I knew that you would be perfect for one another, from the very first moment I saw him -"

"My dear," Darcy put in. "Please do not revise history."

"Very well," Lizzy said, feeling a touch of heat in her own cheeks. "From the second moment I saw him. That evening he dined here at Pemberley, I took one look at the two of you and thought there might be something, or the potential for something." She rubbed her hands together. "Wait until I tell Jane! Not even married half a year and I have succeeded in securing happiness for my sister-in-law. I have won our wager -" She clapped a hand over her mouth a moment too late and earned curious stares from both her husband and Georgiana.

"What wager?" Both asked, at once.

"Nothing!" Lizzy said, merrily. "Goodness me, look at the time! Hurry, both of you, and eat, for we shall have to leave early if we wish to arrive in plenty of time at the church." She eyed Georgiana with a knowing smile. "I know that you will certainly not care to be late on this of all mornings!"

Darcy groaned but obediently attended to his meal.

"Is this what we have to look forward to?" he grumbled, his voice muffled with chewing. "Being rushed out of the door of a morning in order to arrive early to church and prove our piety?"

Georgiana and Elizabeth did not answer him, but a merry round of laughter circulated the table, and everyone's spirits soared with the happiness of Christmas, of promises for the future, and of the joy of being together.