Chapter Fifteen

A Spy Among Us

Alex woke the next morning to low voices outside his room. He sat up and saw Obi-Wan and Damar talking quietly in the room outside his quarters. He quickly dressed and joined them.

"Good morning, Alex," Obi-Wan greeted him.

Alex took a seat at the table. "Good morning, Master, Damar," he nodded. She looked much better after a good night's sleep. The life had returned to her bright blue eyes and her long brown hair was combed and neatly tied back.

"We were discussing what we were going to do," Obi-Wan said. "We never actually agreed to help the Resistance. We came here to rescue Damar."

"I see," said Alex. "What do you think we should do?"

"What the Empire really wants are the records I have of all the Jedi still living so that they can track them down and destroy them," Damar said.

Alex nodded.

"So what we need to do is go to my place and get the records and relocate," she concluded.

"But what if they already have the records? I'm sure they've searched your home," Alex asked.

"I doubt they've found them. I've hidden them pretty well."

Just then, Nyra came in and sat down, yawning.

"Good morning, everyone. Tet should be down soon with breakfast. It will be nice to eat on a regular schedule."

As if on cue, the door opened and Tet came in with a tray of steaming food, whistling a nameless tune. "Well, well, well, you're all awake. Did you all sleep well last night?"

"I must say, it was more comfortable than duracrete," Damar commented.

Tet chuckled. "Enjoy your breakfast. I'll be back down in a little while."

When Tet returned, he sent Nyra to look after the restaurant and took the others to the main room of the hideout. "Let's get down to business," he began. "Our Resistance needs help since most of us were captured. The only ones left are Nyra, thanks to you, and me. We desperately need your help and I'm very grateful that you have come."

"Actually," Obi-Wan started, "We came here to rescue Damar and we still have some other business to attend to. Damar and Nyra were in the same cell together so we rescued both of them. We needed a safe place and Nyra took us here. We are very grateful for it, but I am sorry. We cannot join the Resistance."

Tet was quiet for a moment. "I do understand. I guess you never actually agreed to help us. Thank you, though, for rescuing Nyra."

"Thank  you for understanding." 

"But could you just help us for today? I've got some problems that I think you could help me with. I promise, you can leave tonight or tomorrow morning."

Obi-Wan considered. He looked at Damar. She nodded, giving her consent. Alex shrugged. He didn't have anything planned.

"I think we can do that," he finally agreed. "We'll do what we can today to help you, but tonight we must leave."

"I truly cannot thank you enough, my Jedi friends. I will be forever in your debt. Let me explain what we are up against." Tet took a deep breath and waited a moment as if wondering where to begin. "The day we were protesting, before I got there, a group of stormtroopers came in and arrested everyone. Sounds logical, right? The Empire doesn't like protesters and, naturally, would arrest them. But what doesn't make sense is the timing of the arrest. Almost as soon as they got there it happened, like they were waiting for them. Do you see? I think there was a leak in security. Somehow, someone got into our systems and found out our plans."