Chapter Twenty-Four

Counting Down

Alex bent over Obi-Wan's shoulder, watching intensely as he worked to disable the bomb. Though he was so intent on Obi-Wan, his acquired Jedi hearing picked up on the sounds behind him.

Bokra was coming to. He quietly stood up and was trying to creep up behind Alex, to take him by surprise.

Alex and Obi-Wan exchanged looks. Alex nodded. He knew what he had to do.

Alex heard Bokra reach for his lightsaber. As he did, Alex back-flipped behind his and ignited his own lightsaber. He landed behind Bokra.

Bokra whirled around. Alex could see it on his face that he had surprised him, but he quickly recovered and brought his lightsaber around, clashing with Alex's.

Alex fought bravely, just as Obi-Wan had taught him, using the Force all the while. His main task was to keep Bokra away from Obi-Wan while he worked on the bomb.

Obi-Wan was getting nowhere. He had disabled many bomb types, but this one was completely different, obviously made with new technology. Boy, was he behind the times. Exile definitely had its disadvantages when it came to things like this.

The screen told him there were 120 parsecs left before it blew. At best, he would use 30 more parsecs, then it would be time to run.

119...

118...

117...

Bokra was good with his lightsaber, but not as good as Obi-Wan. Alex knew he had learned from the best. He could read Bokra like a book He was predictable. Alex fought hard, looking for when Bokra would mess up and leave himself open, giving Alex opportunity to strike the fatal blow.

102...

101...

100...

Ten more seconds. Forget it, Obi-Wan thought. He leaped up and engaged in the fight with Bokra.

Alex was glad to have Obi-Wan join him. The two of them worked together like clockwork. Bokra was backing up, dangerously close to the edge.

94...

93...

92...

There it was. Bokra's mistake. He turned around to see how close he was to the edge and was surprised at what he saw. He left himself completely open while parrying a blow from Obi-Wan.

Alex spun on his heel and kicked his foot out, catching Bokra in his midsection.

Caught off guard, he was unable to recover. He lost his balance completely and lost his balance. He flailed his arms and screamed as he fell over the edge backwards to his death, into the large.

"Well done, Alex," Obi-Wan said, looking over the edge. He glanced over at the bomb. "We must hurry. We have less than ninety parsecs left before the whole ship blows. We should go back the way we came."

_______________________________

Damar laughed in spite of the situation.

"What's so funny?" Ferus asked. "This is not time to be laughing."

"The lock is inside of the door. We can escape."

"Now, that is funny," said Tet. "Except that we're chained to the wall."

Ferus reached down for his lightsaber, his hands cuffed together. The cuffs gave him just enough room. He successfully ignited his lightsaber.

"Damar, hold your wrists out." Ferus touched the blade to the cuffs and they fell off, smoking from the heat.