Chapter 1

"Akira," My boss, Pops, called from the register. I set down the chocolate croissant tray I was working on, and made my way out to the shop floor. When I appeared, he was smiling at someone, the person's back was facing me. "Ah," Pops turned his attention to me. I stood there, gnawing on my lip, and gripping the bottom of my sweatshirt in anticipation. "This gentleman would like to get three of the chocolate croissants. I told him whenever you were finished with them, we can bag them up for him." I nodded once and waited for his cue for me to leave. "You should be at the point where they're ready to be trayed-up and packaged, right?" I nodded once again, looking at my feet. I'm really bad with people, I get nervous and dislike being looked at. 

"If they're fresh, may I do four of them, please? My kids love them, so I thought I'd grab them before picking them up from practice." I heard the man speak, but didn't look up. 

"Akira?" Pops, gentle voice flooded in. I nodded once and heard his signal for me to leave. I dislike talking unless it's with people very close to me, or if I absolutely have to. When I returned with the pastries, I went to Pops and gently set them on the counter. I quickly glanced up at Pops, who smiled at me warmly. I felt his kind hand pat my head, and with that, I took my leave. The shop got busier and busier as the day went on. It was a long weekend so there were people traveling, and of course, students still had practice.  By the time my break-time rolled around, it was already seven at night. "Akira," Pops voice called my attention. "I know it's your break, but would you bring the cleaner down the street what she ordered? You can take an extra twenty minutes for your break." I, of course nodded and took the bag with her items. "You sure you can do it?" He was attempting to check on me since I dislike people. I nodded once and smiled at him. 

The walk to cleaners down the street wasn't too far, maybe two blocks. The streets were always well lit, and I never felt unsafe. I gently opened the door and entered the establishment. I was met with a woman who squealed in excitement.

"They were made by you today, right?" She grabbed money to pay me as I grunted and nodded at her question. She handed me more than she owed, so I handed her items to her and tried to grab her change, but she stopped me. "You work diligently, Miss Akira, keep the rest. You always make the best cheese Danishes around." She was a genuine woman; I often deliver to her if she's too busy to pick her order up. "Plus, you always walk it here, you earned it." I smiled and nodded, going to leave after bowing slightly. Pops always tries to make me take a break, but I'd rather not. I dislike standing around when I always see things that can be cleaned or organized. When I returned to the shop, I heard a couple arguing in the street before I saw them. A man and a woman were arguing, but the man was the one who was making a scene. Ignoring them the best I could, I entered our store and went to Pops. 

"They've been out there for a bit arguing. Go take your break, Akira. I'll be okay." He spoke softly as I put the money in the register. "You can finish prepping for tomorrow when you're-" He was cut off by the sound of a shocked cry. Both of us went to the door of the shop and saw the man standing over the woman angrily as she held her face in shock. A few people on the street started to get involved. Shaking my head, I tugged on Pops' shirt to go back inside. 

"What are you looking at, geezer?!" The man's voice bellowed, I immediately flinched and gripped Pops' shirt tighter as I peered at the man glaring at Pops. "Mind your business, freak." He sneered to me. I looked at Pop, who didn't waver; I respect that about him. He shook his head at the man. I felt a hand on my shoulder, and was roughly pushed back to the cement sidewalk. I landed with a grunt. When I looked up, the man grabbed Pops. My body moved on its own, and I had grabbed the man harshly and shoved the man hard enough to have him land on the ground several feet away.