Chapter 17

It's been five days since the incident with Vincent. The two of us ended up going to sleep in his room that night. He started to show more public shows of affection. He would kiss me in public; he would hold my hand; he did anything lately to make sure I was near him. He wanted to make it known that I was his, but didn't push topics when we talked. Rio and Kei seemed to be shocked less and less every time they see him with me. He has picked me up after school each day, made me dinner each night, and has made sure that I'm okay.

"Akira," Kenny's voice made me jump. "You've spaced out for the last twenty minutes. Did you not pay attention? You three have another meeting today." I whined and brought my legs up into the seat. "Get used to it, Princess. They're trying to introduce it to you in small bursts. The two goons get to go because Bossman and his dad know that they make you more at ease in groups." When we entered the room, I wanted to run the other way. Today is not a good day to be doing this. I want to go home and sleep. After a few minutes, I was deep inside my own thoughts. I felt calm between having Kenny and Chance on my left and having Rio and Kei on my right. It didn't seem like time was passing normally to me. I felt a nudge from Rio, making me look up at him, confused. He nodded to the massive group of people, making me aware someone was talking to me. 

"Welcome back, Miss Akira." Vincent's dad said with a gentle smile. 

"She wasn't even listening," A man scoffed, earning a dark look from others. 

"Listening is useless when the information is wrong," I shrugged, earning a glare from the man who spoke. "It's not my fault you people focus on the wrong things. If you want results, evaluate the patterns and not the details." 

"If she's so confident, have her look at the information then." The man snapped, earning a dark look from Vincent's dad. Chance pushed off the wall and walked to the table. Everyone at the table seemed concerned and full of fear when he grabbed a single folder. He handed me the folder with a nod and took his place back against the wall. I looked through the folder silently, taking in the information. Mindlessly, I walked to the table and set the folder down next to Mr.Salvatore. I grabbed the others he had without thinking. He didn't stop me as I went through them. The entire room was filled with silence. 

"She's not capable of it," The same man spoke. A rough voice scared me, making me look behind me.

"If you continue to speak about her badly, I will rearrange your face, and then your partners." It was from Jake. He was glaring at the man with every ounce of anger he had. The man shut up immediately, making me chuckle and go back to the files. I pulled some papers from each and set them in front of Mr.Salvatore. When I looked at him, he was already looking at me patiently.

"Are they in order?" I nodded once at him. I watched as he looked at them, then he looked up to me. "Same group as before?" He seemed shocked.