Chapter 9

"Is it a bird? A frightened bird? A panicking bird? A dying bird? A collapsing with laughter bird?" Adrien could hardly get the words out between his own uninhibited laughter.

"That's time." Called out Sabine. "It was an airplane."

"What? Oh come on Mari, since when did airplanes have flapping wings?" Marinette was laughing too hard on the floor to answer.

"That's another point for the parents and we win. Boo-ya!" Tom gloated, striking a triumphant pose.

Adrien couldn't remember the last time he had played charades, but he was sure he had never laughed so much in all his life. As the sun had gone down, the lights on the Christmas tree had been turned on and the room glistened with a warm glow. Above the fireplace Marinette had put up a stocking for Adrien that she had made especially for him the night before, and hung it next to her own. He watched her as she cleared away a space on the coffee table. When her eyes met his, he felt a warmth and a comfort he hadn't felt since his mother had gone, and when she smiled at him, he knew he was safe and warm in her gaze. Marinette put on a playlist of her favourite Christmas songs before heading with Sabine into the kitchen to make hot chocolate and some treats. Tom threw himself onto the couch next to Adrien, hanging his arm over the younger man's shoulder.

"I know that look Adrien." Tom said with a knowing smile on his face. "I've been giving my wife that same look for over 20 years." The baker could see the flush in the teens face. "Have you told her yet?" Adrien looked down and shook her head. Tom chuckled slightly to himself. "Well, I suppose as her father this is where I should be threatening you with ten rules for dating my daughter and what I'll do to you if you make her cry." Adrien froze slightly. He remembered all too well that misunderstanding when he was Chat Noir causing Tom to be akumatized. That was definitely something he did not ever want to revisit. Tom could see the boys sudden increase in discomfort and started laughing.

"Don't worry son, I'm not going to do that. I know your a decent lad who will always treat my little girl as the princess she deserves to be." Adrien let out a breath he didn't realise he was holding. Tom continued to laugh at the boys expense, giving him a good natured slap on the back. As the ladies of the house began approaching Tom leaned in to whisper into Adrien's ear. "She loves the colours of Autumn you know. I always pictured her as an Autumn bride." Marinette saw Adrien's eyes go wide and his face turn an alarming shade of red as her father whispered in his ear.

"Papa, what on Earth are you saying to him?" She queried, placing the tray of hot chocolate on the table and putting her hands on her hips.

"Secret men's business." He responded with a wink. Adrien just smiled shyly and shrugged his shoulders although having her father's approval certainly gave him an extra boost of courage and determination.

The music turned upbeat and Tom was suddenly on his feet pulling his wife up with him. He twirled her around before pulling her in closer and dancing her around the room, channeling his very best Fred Astaire but failing miserably. Marinette was once again in fits of laughter at her father's antics as she collapsed against Adrien's shoulder. Sh looked up at him and he gave her a mischievous smirk before dragging her up onto her feet too. Marinette squealed as Adrien spun her around before dropping her into a low dip. Bringing her back up he froze momentarily as his eyes caught hers before he was swept up into a series of bizarre and hilarious dance moves with Tom.

After a few songs, they all sat to catch their breathe and finish their supper. Adrien helped Marinette clear away the cups and plates as her parents retired for the night. Adrien had been set up with bed on the lounge. It was one of those fold out day bed types, so there was more room. Marinette helped him get organised before she excused herself to change for the night, promising to be back soon to keep him company. Honestly, she wasn't sure how she was ever going to sleep anyway.