Ch.1

"Ready or not! Here we come!"

The pale blue sky became dotted with white as snowballs rained down on the fort.

Jamie laughed as he ducked behind a mound of snow, the ice splintering into harmless shards against the frozen shield.

Cupcake, the neighborhood tomboy, growled like a rabid wolf. She scooped up a handful of ice and began packing it into a baseball size sphere.

"Hey, easy there, Cupcake. We want to beat them, not pulverize them." Jamie said.

Cupcake merely grinned, holding her finished snowball at the ready. 

Jack Frost grinned too. He was looking on from his position on a nearby picked fence, clutching his icy staff. His first instinct was to intervene and throw some snow himself.

But Jack was a guardian now. He couldn't just jump into the fray whenever he wanted to. 

Besides, he wanted to see how this would end.

BAM!

Cupcake gasped, as her face was suddenly covered with tiny ice shards from a hard-packed snowball. 

The mound of ice Cupcake was previously holding slipped from her hands, landing in front of Jamie, also covering him with snow.

"HAHAHA!"

A squat, nasty-looking kid in a skull shirt waved from behind a large pine tree, mockingly.

He sneered, showing a large gap between his two front teeth.

"Whatcha do that for, Scout?" Jamie gasped, shivering from the cold.

"Who's that?" A kid asked.

"Cupcake's cousin. He's here for the winter break." Another responded.

Cupcake stood, her pink gloves clenched into fists at her sides.

"G-go away!" She yelled at the boy.

The boy stuck out his tongue and ran off.

The rest of the kids stood up from their hiding places among the snow. Suddenly, a snowball fight didn't seem so fun anymore.

"I gotta go." Cupcake wiped snow from her spiky hair.

"Yeah. My mom wants me to leave early." Jamie sighed.

Jack watched in dismay as the rest of the kids dropped their snow and trudged towards their homes.

He flew closer, attempting to catch Jamie's eye.

When he thought the boy had seen him, he offered a friendly wave.

Jamie didn't even look up, as he climbed onto the porch and closed the front door.

The lack of winter spirit felt like a punch in the gut, and Jack glanced in the direction that Scout had run off to.

Maybe a winter prank was just the remedy the kids needed.

With that, he summoned the closest wind and took off.