Arriving

"How do you know this guy, North?" Jack asked.

"More importantly, how do you know he's gonna cooperate?" Bunny asked.

"He will. Krampus and I, we go way back." North beamed.

"Really?" Tooth asked, interested. "How far?"

"Since I became Guardian!" North turned to discuss something with a yeti.

Jack leaned towards Sandy. "When did North become one of us?"

Sandy puffed his cheeks and looked to the side, bashfully, and shrugged. Then he made a gap with his hands and spread them apart.

"A long time?" Jack guessed.

He was brought back by North's spontaneous loud laughter.

"Yes! They will do it! You all are such good friends!" North waved to the yetis.

"Do what, exactly?" Jack stepped closer.

"Bring Krampus, of course." North raised his eyebrows, indicating the obviousness of the statement.

"Wait, here? To the Pole?!" Bunnymund bounced off the wall he had been leaning against.

"No, no, no. You're asking too much North! Of all of us!" He shook a furry fist at the Russian Giant.

"Don't tell me you're scared, Bunny?" Jack teased.

"You wish!" Bunny puffed his chest, trying to look bigger than he was. "I'm not afraid of some old goat!"

North made an amused sound. 

"Then we shall continue. Yetis?"

The hairy giants assembled in a line in front of North

The hairy giants assembled in a line in front of North. They saluted and waited eagerly for instruction.

"Take magic snow globe and find Krampus. You should have no trouble bringing in him." North smiled while the other Guardians hovered uncertainly behind.

Even Sandy, who was usually the most positive of the lot, looked dubious of the plan.

The yetis paid the nervous group no mind as they launched the snow globe into the air, activating the portal.

"Good luck and happy hunting, friends!" North waved.

Bellowing, they leapt into the swirling vortex. Soon the room was devoid of yetis. The portal continued to swirl, uncaringly.

Bunny tapped his hind paw, impatient. "Sooo.....how long is this gonna take?"

"Dunno. But I suggest we make the room a little more welcoming." North turned to his elves and fellow Guardians. 

"Lets get to work!"

///

Later, the Pole platform was decorated in spirit of the holiday. Red ribbons and bows graced the columns and garland was strung across the stairs.

Lights and glass ornaments twinkled and reflected specks of light everywhere like a miniature disco. 

The whole room smelled of icing, fruitcake, and eggnog, which was assembled in a splendid array on a long, decorated table. There were even little gingerbread treats, which the elves swiped and licked with their pink tongues when they thought nobody was looking.

There was, of course, a giant Christmas tree, which Jack, Tooth and Sandy decorated from the top (because they could fly or at least, hover), while Bunnymund and North attended to the lower parts.

Stepping back, the Guardians and Christmas sprits surveyed their work.

"It's lovely." Tooth finally said.

"Yeah, makes my eyes burn." Bunnymund rubbed his forehead. Jack silently agreed.

"It's perfect! Krampus loves Christmas....makes me wish he were here already!" North boomed.

BANG!

The group whirled around to face the portal.

Out of the light came a tall, furry figure. They braced themselves for the worst....

A yeti came barreling out of the portal, small eyes comically wide with fear. He bellowed and rushed down the stairs, putting as much distance as he could from himself and what was on the portal's other side.

After him came five or six more yetis. All were running away in fear, scrambling over each other in their haste.

Suddenly, a long black rope appeared, lassoed one of the yetis, and began to drag him back into the portal. The yeti clawed the floor and his companions turned and grabbed his arms trying to pull him back into the Pole.

One of the yetis pulling let go and rushed into the portal. The remaining yetis had to double their efforts in order to keep the lassoed yeti on the same side.

Suddenly, the rope went slack.

Jack quickly swooped in and froze the rope around the yeti's paw, making it brittle to the point where it shattered, freeing the captured beast. 

The yeti quickly crawled away, hiding behind the other Guardians.

There was a noise and suddenly, a mass of fur came shooting once again out of the portal.

The yeti who had returned was thrown back to the other side, exhausted from fighting...whatever it was still inside the portal.

The Guardians quickly assumed battle poses.

North produced twin blades, Bunny with his boomerangs, Jack with his staff

Sandy and Tooth took up the rear, ready to fly into action.

CLACK-CLACK.

The group jumped. Something was coming.

CLACK-CLACK.

"What's that racket?" Bunny muttered.

CLACK-CLACK! CLACK-CLACK!

The noises came in a dutiful pattern. The consistency made Jack think of footsteps. Except, the owner of these feet seem to have...

Hooves. Jack realized.