The Party

AN: First off, thank you so much for thinking of trying out my book, it rly means a lot. I'm j gonna give a fair warning tho bc of some of the feedback that I've gotten that the story goes kind of quickly bc I had to write it all the day I watched the movie since I had so many other things going on. Otherwise I rly hope you like it and tysm for reading <3.

Ransom's POV:

The entire world sees me as uncultured, a playboy, and even a brat, but really, I'm just a soul that doesn't know where to go. My grandfather is none other than Harlan Thombrey, and that does not make life easy. All my life I've been pampered and what not and now...I just feel it all coming back to me in the worst way possible.

It was simple really. It was my grandfather's 85th birthday and all of our family came together for a party. I was as excited as everyone because my grandfather and I had something most people would call a love/hate relationship. He liked to play games with everyone, and both of our game was, quite frankly, getting into arguments. 

I entered the mansion and saw just about everyone there. My dad, mom, aunts, uncles, cousins, you name it. Not to mention all of grandfather's caretakers and nurses. I was looking around and making some snarky comments when I saw her. I knew immediately that she was my grandfather's nurse by the descriptions everyone gave me. She seemed so kindhearted and brilliant. I was staring and I didn't realize.

"Ransom"

"Ransom"

"RANSOM"

I looked up suddenly to see my grandfather staring at me with a serious expression.

"We need to talk," he said.

I followed him into his office and watched as he locked the door.

"Ransom, I'm taking all of you out of the will."

"WHAT!" I exclaimed. "You can't do that."

"Actually, Ransom, I can. It has already been done and my decision is final."

All of a sudden, I was really mad and stormed out of the room. If he wants to play that game, then so be it.

"Fine be that way. I'm warning you." I told him.

I took my belongings and left the house.

Marta's POV:

I was so happy. It was Harlan's 85th birthday and I couldn't be happier to see all his family here to support him. I was casually talking to Meg as the rest of the family as I looked up and saw a tall, quirky man who looked like a child, staring at me. I blushed instantly and Meg took a notice. Then Harlan came and took the man, Ransom, I was told his name was. As soon as he was out of the room, Meg started teasing me. 

"Oh, you totally like him," she said.

"Shush," I told her.

"You should go for it. NOW. He likes you too, I can tell." she exclaimed.

"I literally JUST saw him. And, I'm technically on working hours right now." I retorted.

Then Richard, Harlan's oldest daughter's husband, called me and brought me into some conversation about illegal immigration. I was immensely uncomfortable because Harlan and Meg were the only ones who knew the truth. My mom was undocumented. 

Suddenly, there was loud shouting coming from Harlan's office and Ransom stormed out of the room, took his jacket and left the house without a word. All of us were puzzled but chose to act as if nothing happened.

Ransom's POV:

I drove out of the mansion and somewhere in the woods, I stopped. I was scared. I didn't know how to fend for myself. The idea was refreshing, but I was clueless about what to do. My entire family was always so busy doing their own thing that they never taught me how to fend for myself. I didn't know what to do. To make this entire thing scarier, my mind was telling me I should figure out a way to kill him and take the money.

I decided I'd go back to the mansion and have a conversation with grandfather. I was trying my best to not let my rage consume me.