The Funeral

Marta's POV:

I woke up this morning and immediately had a recollection of yesterday's events. I blushed remembering that technically Ransom was now my boyfriend. Gosh was this nice. I got up and got ready for the day. Or whatever we'd be doing for the day. I went down and saw Ransom expertly flipping pancakes on the stove. I decided I'd surprise him with my entry and quickly hugged him from behind him. He froze for half a second and I tensed, but then he turned around and hugged me back.

"Morning Marta."

"Mornin'" I replied holding him right.

I let go as he put a plate of pancakes in front of me that looked delicious. I quickly took a bite and then proceeded to finish the rest.

"Those. Were. Some. Of. The. Best. Pancakes. I've. EVER. Had." I exclaimed.

"Only the best for my girlfriend." He replied with a smirk and I blushed.

My phone then vibrated and I looked down. It was Meg. She texted me saying that the funeral was at 10 am today.

I told Ransom about it and he immediately agreed that one of us should go. We decided it would be me because that way he wouldn't be asked questions, and I could figure out what was happening.

Ransom's POV:

I knew someone should go to the funeral just to see what was going on. Marta decided she would go because she wanted to, and she thought I'd be better at planning ahead. I didn't like it, but it'd have to work out. For the 100th time, I checked to make sure she could contact me and she took one of my cars to the mansion.

Richard's POV:

The funeral is today and everyone is still really shocked from the death. Linda asked me to call our son Ransom and tell him that today was the funeral. I called him immediately.

"Hey Ransom??"

"Hey Dad." He said with what sounded like slight... disgust? I brushed it off as nerves.

"Look, your grandfathers funeral is today. Are you coming??"

"No I can't. Goodbye"

That little shit. What was he thinking. At least provide a good excuse. Whatever. I saw Marta walk in with Meg and we all were friendly. Then two investigators came along with some world renowned private investigator. They said that they would be doing interrogations of everyone on this case.

Time Skip after the funeral

Marta's POV:

Oh shit. They're doing interrogations. I can't lie. Damnit. I'd have to figure something out. I texted Ransom and he told me to not lie, but just tell parts of the truth. I hope it works. They finally called me in.

Detective Blanc comes up to me and tells me straight forward.

"I only have a few confirmations I need from you because I've heard Harlan tells you everything, and I also have heard that you can't lie"

I nod.

"Okay first, Is Richard Drysdale having an affair?"

No! I can't answer that. What do I do. I decided I'd risk it.

"N-no"

I felt the bile rising as I willed it to go down and I immediately puked into a basket near me.

"Okay," the detective said. "Wasn't expecting that, but it works. You can go now. I don't need to ask the other question."

"O-ok," I responded.

I went out and called Ransom. I noted that I was still in the mansion and couldn't, therefore, call him by his name.

"Hey babe," I said, cringing, and hoping he would be okay with it.

"Oooh we're there now. I like it." He responded.

I walked out of the mansion as he asked, "So, what'd they ask??"

I replied solemnly, "This might hurt babe but they asked me if your dad was cheating. Harlan told me the truth and you know I can't lie. Please don't be mad."

"Hey don't worry. I'll be honest. I knew because I saw the evidence on grandfathers desk. I don't care. I told you, my family is full of a bunch of idiots and for once in my life, I'm conversing with someone who is actually kind of normal and doesn't title me for my past."

I smiled and blurted, "I love you."

Shit. Why'd I do that. The line went silent as I waited for his response.

10 seconds went by. I sighed.

"I love you too. Heh you thought I'd be upset or like we're not there yet or something didn't you??" He audibly chuckled.

"You are an idiot. But I still love you."

"Kay Kay we get it. You love me. Now come back. I think I have a plan. More or less anyway."

"Cool see you." I said.

It was getting dark and I decided I'd drive back. I walked back into the mansion and said goodnight to everyone. They invited me for the will reading in the next two days. Then I got in m-Ransom's car and drove back.

Ransom's POV:

I had a pretty good idea of what to do. I would show up on will reading day and we'd basically not act suspicious. If anyone asks, for Marta's sake, we'd stick to half truths. As soon as she got home, she ran to me and hugged me and I hugged her back with a light kiss that made her blush. So I guess it's okay. Man this relationship is moving fast. I kind of like it that way though.

Marta's POV:

When I came back, I ran to Ransom for a hug, and he pulled me back and kissed me. I decided I liked it this way, and for some reason, I didn't mind the speed at which our relationship was moving.

Anyway, immediately after, he started telling me the plan and I was relieved that it didn't include any lying.

For the night, we decided we'd watch a movie together. I picked some random movie and we both sat on the couch and watched it. At some point, I leaned on his chest and fell asleep.

_____________________

Well...this was one relatively long chapter...