12 ; memories

{Note : this entire chapter will be a flashback to when Dazai was in the Port Mafia}

Dazai was looking out of Mori's window in his office. It had the best view.  Dazai wasn't allowed to leave the building very often and nobody wanted to deal with him. It's not like he cared anyway. The other kids here were weird. Elise was really boring to Dazai, all she talked about was girly stuff. Q was never seen, apart from when Dazai decided to visit the small contaminant he was in.

Dazai didn't care for friends, knowing that he would have to cut ties with them thanks to Mori. It those special days that Dazai treasured the most, when he was allowed to leave. He always came to this specific playground. He couldn't remember why he always visits the playground, he just followed where his feet lead him. It had been a whole month since Dazai had been allowed to go out.

So, Dazai decided to ask Kouyou if he could go out. She allowed him, but told him he had only a hour before he had to come back. Dazai grabbed his coat and walked towards the direction of the playground. It was winter, but it wasn't that cold just yet. He looked at the playground. He tried to remember why.

~~~

"Hey Dazai-kun, why don't I see you around at school?"

Dazai looked at the girl, shrugging his shoulders. If he told her the truth, she would run away. He didn't want his only friend to leave him.

"Well, I'm glad I see you here."

They continued to build the small castle that they started. It was made out of sand, rocks, and whatever they found.

"Hey, Dazai-kun, are you going to be here tomorrow?"

Dazai shrugged his shoulders again, but he knew the answer. He wasn't going to be here tomorrow, but he wanted to be here. Not back at the headquarters. Not alone. He wanted to be with his friend.

"Well, try to come here, I'll be here okay?"

Dazai looked at the [h/c] girl, "You'll wait for me? Even if I take hundred years?"

The girl smiled at him, "Of course! You're my friend after all!"

~~~

Dazai walked around the town, looking at everyone. They all were smiling, happy, unlike him. He didn't know why, but he felt empty. Like he was missing something. Or someone.

'I better get back before I get yelled at.'

Dazai sprinted to an alleyway that was a shortcut to headquarters. Dazai still hasn't figured out anything, but he was on the lookout for a specific girl now.

~~~

Dazai got to the playground. He looked around, but he couldn't find the girl anywhere. When he was about to give up, the girl jumped out of a bush and yelled "Surprise!"

Dazai jumped back in defense, then the girl started laughing.

"Wow! The look on your face was priceless! I should scare you more often."

Dazai blushed a light pink, and smiled a little. The girl was still laughing, and was a mess on the ground. Dazai had to calm her down a little.

"Let's continue our castle!"

Dazai and the girl finished the castle that day. It made Dazai proud that he finished it, but when the girl left and he was by himself at the playground, he started to cry.

He was going to be all alone again. Dazai ever since then continued to come to the playground, but he never saw the girl ever again.

~~~

Dazai was in his own room making plans for his mission, when a note fell out of a book on his shelf. He got up out of his seat and looked at the note. It read :

Dazai-kun, I'm excited to see you tomorrow! I'm giving this note because ——————
I think you'll forget. I'm waiting!

—————— :)

The writer had scribbled out some words after because and scribbled out their name. Dazai wondered who could have sent the note. It was not Elise, she would never write to Dazai. Q was out of the picture as well. Dazai just couldn't remember that girl that made him happy all those years ago.

~~~

"Hey, Dazai-kun, do you mind if I ask you a personal question?"

Dazai shook his head 'no'.

"Alright, where do you live?"

Dazai didn't if he should answer the question or not. He just pointed towards the city (it wasn't a lie that he lived there).

"Wow! That far! Do your parents bring you here?"

Dazai mumbled a small "yes".

"I want to live in the city one day! Maybe we could be neighbors.."

Dazai smiled at the idea of her being his neighbor. It would be nice to have some company now and then.

~~~

Dazai put the note in a drawer, and went back to writing, but his mind was else where. He wanted to find the girl, and he would. He wanted to see her once more.

~~~

Dazai walked toward the playground, when he heard a voice yell.

"STOP! I did nothing...to you...please stop..."

He recognized the voice as his friend's and hid behind a tree.

"Why are you..doing this..."

He heard three voices laugh, they all sounded like teens.

"Well, it's losers like you that make us want to."

Dazai's eyes widen, and then he saw the guys walk away. Why didn't she tell him that she was getting bullied? Why? Did she not trust him enough?

~~~

Dazai groaned, feeling exhausted. The mission really took a toll on him. He started to drift to sleep. He was peacefully sleeping when the [h/c] girl he always hangs out with was being captured.