ii.

CHAPTER TWO,
A LITTLE RUST.

THE NEXT TIME Verona sees Tom again (not that she's keeping track... because that'd be weird, right?) was during dinner time.

The Great Hall, as always, is bathed in shades of royal gold that's brighter than even she is. Even surrounded by her friends at the table designated for Ravenclaws like her, she's still ever so poised and elegant. Sitting up straight and dainty little bites, she's acting as though her mother will be around to judge her. Sit up, darling, and don't eat like such a slob! You're a Lancaster - you should be the perfect example to everyone. Her parents continue to linger around her even after they're long, the girl often feeling their judgmental gazes burning large holes into her porcelain skin.

It's almost as though they're hiding in the shadows still, judging her very mood.

Verona's determined to push all the negative thoughts out of her mind. She's the happy girl, remember? Positivity is practically her middle name. Forever smiling, the golden blonde listens intently to all of her friends' conversations. Juniper Donnelly ultimately drives most of the conversation, droning on and on once again about how she spent her entire summer partying on fancy boats and wearing nice dresses that cost lots (often adding smugly how her family's so loaded they'll most likely be doing the same thing next summer but in the Bahamas - big deal). Occasionally, Susan Samuels steals the show from time to time with the exciting story of how she turned snobby ol' Robert Charles into a rat during Transfiguration.

Verona just sits there and listens, occasionally smiling and giggling from time to time. She doesn't have a whole lot of exciting stories to share. She never does. Verona mostly just lives vicariously through her more adventurous peers, biding her time until she gets the courage to do something new.