iii.

CHAPTER THREE,
A SECOND CHANCE.

THE REST OF THE day after that went by in a complete blur, the girl's head wrapped entirely around the horrible news she had received. Her attention simply wasn't there, the girl barely participating in all of her classes. But most of all, her smiles had been just a tad bit more dim. They didn't even reach her eyes anymore, almost as though Verona didn't even have it within her to fake it anymore. 

She was trying her hardest to keep everything all bottled in but as the day wore on, the task was getting harder than intended.

Verona's grateful for when the day's finally over, eager to disappear back in her room where she'd be able to cry more. She'd most likely skip out on dinner anyways, her appetite practically nonexistent. She didn't want to have to look or talk to anyone anymore than she already had to. All Verona wanted to do was disappear, get swallowed up by the darkness and no longer exist. She was sure her parents wouldn't notice anyways. They never really cared to notice her anyways.

So why would they care if she were gone?

Verona walks in the sea of students all around, rushing as fast as she could back to the comforts of her room. She's focused straight ahead of her - vision occasionally blurred with tears that she quickly blinks away - that she doesn't notice Juniper creeping right behind her. Fingers suddenly lace with hers, pulling her back until she's stopped moving completely.