The Golden Rose

This chapter touches at intolerance towards anything that doesn't fit a COEXIST policy, the mindset of a man from the 1940's, and swearing.

Steve Rogers P.O.V.

     "Alright J.A.R.V.I.S. take me down." I said as I walked out of the room where I had left Stella and our warm embrace. "Quickly before I change my mind and can't bring myself to leave her alone." I thought as the elevator doors closed behind me and then the light to go down a few floors lit up.

     "Right away Captain. I've alerted Mister Stark that you are on your way."

     "Thank you." I responded to the computer. There was no way I was going to get used to having a computer talking to me anytime soon, or controlling the building I lived in.

     The world had changed so much since the 30's and 40's. In some ways for the better and in some, not so much. Everything food wise wasn't boiled anymore so that's a plus, oh and the internet was amazing. I have been using that a lot to catch up on what I've missed. There were a lot of other things too, like the quality of movies had improved (though I was still a fan of the movies from my time), music and how many different kinds there were now was confusing to me at times, and then there were the other things.

     Advancements in war and technology had progressed quickly with the help of Howard and Tony. I could see how with the changing times things like that were needed, but the black market on guns and the demand on them, made me realize that though the world had seemingly gotten bigger in my absence, people hadn't changed at all. They still fought and killed because of something as stupid and insignificant as skin color. Wars were started based on religion, when religion preaches peace. I may be an "old" man according to Nat, but even I know killing someone because of who they love, no matter if they are a man or woman, was wrong and a senseless loss of life.

     Other things that had changed radically were relationships. Back in the day Buck used to get all the dames, but he treated 'em right. None of this backwards is the correct way way. Don't get me wrong I love a strong woman, and one who could fend for herself was even better, it was one of the reasons I was attracted to Peggy, but now-a-days men weren't men. Not like the men I knew, not like the man I am. It's simple. You take your gal on a date; you treat her right. Open every door for her, place your hand on the small of her back to gently guide her and remind her that you're there, and pay for the bill or bills. If you got lucky, maybe at the end of the night she would give you a kiss. Now everywhere I look, the women are paying for everything instead of splitting up the bills, and following their guy around like they are lucky to even be in his presence, when really it's the other way around.

     A dame doesn't have to go with us places if she doesn't want to, and if she wants to pay sometimes then let her, but don't let her pay all the time. It seemed everywhere I looked I was seeing one of these "new" relationships and it just made me depressed. My guy or gal, my golden rose, was probably dead so I would never get to experience any kind of relationship with them. Which is why I was so relieved when I found Stella today. She was an angel, or at least that's what I thought when she stepped out from behind Clint earlier and looked at me.

     Her brown eyes looked at me with wide eyed wonder and an innocence that was hidden behind a wall of insecurities and fear. The pang of pain in my chest I felt when I saw that made me want to take her into my arms and never let her go, and I'm not a possessive person by nature. Maybe I will be with her and I'll have to get used to it?