Chapter 4: Quartz

I sat in the Beacon lunchroom as the merry sounds of bells and quaint instruments played over the PA, the entirety of the students of Beacon gathered here for the small Christmas event they do at Beacon, where the students get a single present for someone else and exchange them when they're handed out. I sat in the midst of it, sipping my Kentucky Bourbon as I wore something akin to my usual attire, but more fancy for the sake of the dance. This, however, caught me by surprise, and I was unprepared for it. The others, however, were delighted, and had smiles on their faces, which was more than enough for me. I did receive a few gifts from others; namely Blake, Team JNPR, and Velvet. Ruby was looking at me from time to time, especially when I was opening gifts and either finding aesthetics for my weapons like a speed-loader for my Mastiff on my Pulse Blade loadout, or a Zebra White paintjob on my Grapple loadout's R-101 rifle. I even got a cool charm that appeared to look like two brown Nevermore feathers arranged in a way that it would look like bunny ears. I managed to secure it on the left side of my bulldogger hat, and was notified by her that it was a joint present from Coco, Velvet, Yatsuhashi, and Fox. I thanked them and turned back forward, glancing down at the box at my side, which resemble that of a weapons case. My hat sat upon the symbol, which was Neo's. I didn't want her to see it just yet. The one that surprised me the most was Ruby and Yang. They came to me, holding a present on either side. I was hesitant at first, looking between them and the present before taking it. When I unraveled it, I saw a letter above the gift itself. Taking it, I read it to myself.

Raymond,

After what you said yesterday, and what you entrusted us with to show us that you are the man of your word and are trying to amend the lies you spun into a singular web, we wanted you to have this as a token of our forgiveness, and our apologies. We're sorry for leaving you to drown in your sorrows, and feel awful because you were there to pick us up when we fell. Sure, it was for minor things, but you were still there. We weren't. So, as long as you're trying to make things right, we will, too.

-Ruby Rose // Yang Xiao-Long

The actual present itself was a modification for my Smart Pistols, a damage amplifier and a modulator that sped up the lock-on targeting system for the smart-bullets to trace. It was an effective add-on, and the design fit onto my pistols with no problem at all. Getting this gift, I shared a hug with the sisters, Ruby crying into my side while Yang snuggled up into my shoulder, squeezing my back before we pulled away. Now, I sit here with Neo, who got LOADS of ice-cream from Blake and Velvet, the two here who actually knew her and what she liked. She almost cried when she saw it and couldn't squeeze the life out of the two more with her hugs. I smiled at the scene back then, and can only grin again at the memory. Looking to her, I saw her licking at one of the cones she made for herself, then I turned down to the weapons case. After a small hum, I turned forward.

"You know, it's funny. The Arc Family doesn't even celebrate Christmas."

Neo glanced at me as I shrugged.

"Seeing as their everyday lives were filled with merriment and happiness in the Edge, we figured we were living the holiday every day. And, well, as for me..."

I gave a solemn look to the ground as I sighed.

"How can you celebrate with your family if they're all gone...?"

She frowned before smacking me, giving me a pout that said 'no sad faces on Christmas'. I smiled, petting her head with a chuckle.

"Eh, sorry, Neo. I forgot you're family, too..."