Chapter 5 - Putting the Pieces of the Puzzle Together

I jumped off the couch with the sinking feeling that my wife was having an affair with Jordan.

I ran upstairs to our bedroom opening the desk drawers where Anjali kept her belongings. I sifted through everything looking for clues, but there was nothing. Old grocery lists, several lipsticks, reading glasses, sunglasses, mints, papers from the kid's school, and other miscellaneous stuff but nothing to give her and Jordan away.

I found my cell phone and hit speed dial to call my secretary and asked her to find Jordan Kowalski's cell phone number and connect me to him. Theresa was resourceful and connected me to Jordan within minutes.

Once we exchanged pleasantries, I wasn't sure how to proceed.

"It's wonderful speaking to you twice in one day, but what do I owe this pleasure to?" Jordan asked me.

I panicked – I hadn't thought this through. I'd been so angry I needed to do something and calling Jordan seemed the right thing to do in the heat of the moment.

"Listen, I, um, didn't realize that you knew my wife. It surprised me to see you with her this morning."

"I didn't know Anjali was your wife. I take yoga classes from her and we've gotten to know each other through that," Jordan said, adding to my suspicions. Did that mean he didn't know she was married before starting an affair?

"Oh, I see. Well, after you left the museum, Anjali got upset and drove off like a maniac. Do you have any idea why she might have done that?"

"I'm sorry. I have no idea why she would have done that," Jordan said calmly.

"Did I interrupt something between the two of you this morning? She's never even mentioned you to me and yet the two of you seem to know each other well," I said without straight out asking him if he was having an affair with my wife.

Jordan took a deep breath before answering. "If you're insinuating that I'm having an affair with your wife, I'm not."

We were both quiet. He wasn't offering any other information.

Finally asked, "Was she upset before I came this morning?"

"Not that I could tell. She was her usual self," Jordan said in an even keel voice. But what was her usual self with him?

"Has she been upset about anything recently?"

"Nothing but what usually upsets wives of too busy husbands? Usually, that they never have time for their family."

I took a deep breath; I was guilty of that.

"Listen, I'm not having an affair with your wife, we're just good friends who enjoy talking about art and life. But just because I didn't take advantage of her loneliness doesn't mean someone else won't. She's an attractive and beautiful woman who's very lonely."

I didn't know whether to believe him. Was he covering for himself, or was he warning me he could have an affair with Anjali if he wanted?

"I've been busy which is why I took the day off to surprise her, this wasn't the reaction I expected."

"I have no idea why she ran out on you, but can I give you some unsolicited advice?" Jordan asked.

"Do I have a choice?"

Jordan laughed, "Look you're what ten years younger than me so learn from my mistakes and pay attention to your wife otherwise in ten years you will be sitting in my shoes. No amount of money or success will make up for losing the love of your life. I should know. It's been hell since Eleanor ended our marriage. If I could go back in time, I'd change a lot of things. You can still change things."