Steve

Steve

The Sensible One

The Manor Lord is a rounding, baulding, slowly dying kind of man. Human, clearly, and an arrogant bastard just to top it all off. He regarded me like an inconvenience from the moment Flynn brushed past him, and watching Flynn search his manor like a man on a mission has only served to put him more on edge.

"That is my private chambers," The Lord shouts, and would probably consider dragging Flynn out of here – if he stood a chance.

"Never been in there anyway," Flynn rumbles, to himself. He's barely even glanced in the Lords direction, which isn't helping.

I raise my arms, trying to use my body language to encourage the man to lower his tone and pay attention to me – not the bunyip shifter.

What in the world is Flynn doing anyway. Hunting – but who? It's like someone has taken something he wants. Sure, we're here for the statue, but we're buying it, not reclaiming it.

"Out!" the Lord booms.

I pull the purse from my riding leathers and jingle the coins a little. There, that has his attention.

"Lord, the statue?" I demand, moving the purse up and down, side to side, and losing my battle to smirk at the creature as he follows my every movement.

I don't like mortals, never have. Lochy has an infatuation with them, but he likes to play with his food.

He growls, swallows with an audible gulp, and the second Flynn has stormed from the room the Lord pulls the statue from his pocket.

Clearly he thinks that is what Flynn was hunting for – couldn't be further from the truth.

"Coins first," he demands.

I resist the need to roll my eyes, and drop the coins into his hand. Just because I'm one-tenth the angry of Flynn doesn't mean I couldn't remove this man's head from his neck in a heartbeat. No point arguing with him though – not if I get what I want without the hassle.

And I do – because he shoves the statue straight into my hands, shouting, "Now get out."

"Pleasure," I say, complete with bow, then head directly for the narrow staircase.

I'm in the second story portion of the manor, with a good bit of ground now between me and Flynn.

There's little chance I can catch him before he finds his prey, but maybe I can before he kills it.