{Chapter Thirteen} He's My Blood

LIZZIE'S POV

"Why are we at another museum?" Aphmau groaned.

"You're the one that wanted to do this." Lizzie reminded her, "Besides, we're just here for one thing." 

"Are we really going to steal this in broad daylight?" 

"If you want to wait around until it's dark, be my guest."

"Can't you just snap your fingers and make it night?"

"It doesn't work like that."

"Then how does it work?"

"We don't really have time for me to tell you the complicated rules that govern divine magic."

"How were you told them then?" Aphmau countered.

"I wasn't. I figured them out through trial and error." 

"Sounds... painful." 

"That it was." Lizzie muttered, elbowing her way through a crowd of gawking tourists. 

She could hear Aphmau following close behind, but she didn't look back as she made her way through the grand halls to a specific exhibit. 

It was in an area with significantly less people, which was why she was able to see so quickly that was they were looking for wasn't actually there. 

She cursed under her breath. 

"What's wrong?" Aphmau asked, concern in her voice.

"It's gone." 

"What's gone?"

"His sword."

"Oh. What do we do?" 

"That's a good question. For now, however, we should just go." 

Without so much as giving the other girl a chance to respond, she seized her arm and they disappeared.

= = =

Unfortunately for them, Lizzie hadn't known Levin as well as she'd known her nieces. She had all her hopes riding on only two options, and now she was facing the consequences. 

"Ugh," Aphmau groaned, slamming another book shut and rubbing at her eyes, "Why is this so hard?"

"We're finding plenty of viable information," Lizzie pointed out, "We just don't have any way of obtaining the necessary items in this day and age."

"Can't you track the sword?"

"Unlike Lilith's, Levin's wasn't infused with magic, so no. It took some digging and pure luck to find it, and I wouldn't even know where to begin now."

Aphmau sighed, running a hand through her hair.

"Are you sure he doesn't have any living relatives? Or are they all too distant?" 

Lizzie's movements faltered for only a moment, but it was enough for Aphmau to notice. 

"What is it?"

"What are you talking about?" 

"You know what I'm talking about. What aren't you telling me?"

"Plenty."

"Huh?"

"Never mind." 

"Lizzie." 

"Yes?"

"Does. Levin. Have. Living. Relatives."

"Maybe." She answered shortly, after a brief pause. 

"Who? Where are they?" Aphmau asked eagerly.

"You're looking right at her." She replied quietly, turning her head away from Aphmau. 

"You? What? How?" Aphmau stammered.

"Backwards, not forwards." 

"You're his ancestor?"

"Hmm. Great-grandmother I think?" 

"You don't know?"

"Not for sure."

"Okay, we'll come back to that later. But, we can use your blood?"

"It wouldn't be preferable."

"Does it look like we have any other choice?" Aphmau pointed out, gesturing at the piles of discarded books. 

Lizzie glanced around.

"Fine." She agreed quietly.

"You'll do it?" Aphmau checked.

"That's what fine means." Lizzie grumbled.

"That means-"

"That we have everything we need." Lizzie finished, letting a smile flicker over her face. 

Aphmau grinned, lighting up like a Christmas tree. Lizzie stood, offering her hand to her not- sister. 

"Where are we going?" Aphmau asked warily, eyeing her hand with suspicion. 

"To see an old friend."