{Chapter Nineteen} From the Void

LIZZIE'S POV

Lizzie could sense it to, now that she knew where to 'look'. She could feel the pulsing energy that seemed to push against everything that dared come near it. 

She silently waved Aphmau, Levin, Malachi, Alina and Lilith back. For once, perhaps as they sensed the severity of the situation, no one argued. 

"You know what to do." She told the twins. 

They did. Willow set her back down on the ground and began to rummage through it, while Jasper and Lizzie started tracing the intricate pattern in the snow that they had spent hours memorising. 

"Are you sure this will work?" Jasper asked her quietly. 

"Since when have you doubted me?" She pointed out, "Or rather, when have you had a viable reason to doubt me."

"Well..." He said jokingly.

"Don't even start." She replied, rolling her eyes good-naturedly, "Trust me, Jasper, we won't end up setting the Demon Warlock loose on the world."

"Again, you mean." He teased, causing her to elbow him, "But I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about-" he glanced over at his sister, "- the other thing."

"'The other thing'? You make it sound like we're trying to commit mass murder or something." 

"That could happen." He said seriously. 

"Look, I know the risks. You do too. But we agreed to do it anyway." 

"I know, and I still want to. It's just... I thought we'd have more time." 

"It doesn't have to happen right away." She reasoned. 

Of course, she would prefer if it did, but it wasn't a necessity.

"I guess so." Jasper conceded, glancing back at his sister again.

"You know, you were the one who wanted to keep her in the dark." Lizzie pointed out quietly, having noticed his look. 

"At first, yes, but now I feel bad lying to her."

"You're not lying. You're just not telling the whole truth. Neither am I."

"I think she's picked up on that. She asked me to talk to you because you were acting kinda off." 

"Well, forgive me for that." Lizzie said dryly, lifting her finger off the snow and shaking it in an attempt to warm it up. 

Jasper finished a moment later and stepped back with her, admiring their handywork. Willow was just finishing setting out an assortment of ancient objects. 

To most people, they would look worthless. But to someone attuned to magicks you could sense it coming off of it in waves. They were old and powerful dark artifacts that they had spent months tracking down for this exact purpose. 

"What are those?" Aphmau asked curiously, watching with wide eyes. 

"Relics - of a sort." Willow answered, setting the last one down, "Old, powerful, dark, buried within history." 

"Must not have been too buried, if you found them that quickly." Aphmau commented. 

"Several months of research, several months of tracking them down. Not that quickly." Willow shrugged, "Shall we start?"

Jasper and Lizzie nodded, taking their own places in the circle. They linked hands, forming a sort of mutant triangle-circle. 

"I'd step back, if I were you." Jasper warned the others, who took his warning to heart and scurried to cover - Levin and Lilith going somewhat reluctantly.

Lizzie met his eyes, nodding once both in reassurance and as a signal that they were ready, doing the same with Willow. 

They began to chant in time, the ancient words coming easily. A white orb of light quickly formed in the middle of them. As it grew brighter, and the spell grew stronger, Lizzie could almost see the black magic being sucked out of the artifacts, and she could most definitely sense it swirling around her. 

She shook off the feeling of uneasiness, brushing away any doubts and channeled all her energy into the spell, focusing her mind of Travis' image, praying that the twins remembered to do the same. 

The white light got bigger, until it was the size of a person, when it seemed to recede into itself, and then expand outwards a moment later, like a bomb - except there was a distinct lack of fire and flying shrapnel. 

When it faded, a familiar figure was left standing where it had been. Same white hair and green eyes that trademarked this Travis, and all his past doppelgangers. 

He looked around, his face lighting up has he recognised them, and even more once he recognised Aphmau. 

She started forward, but Lizzie stopped her in her tracks with a muttered spell, shooting her a warning look. He might look like him at the moment, but any minute -

Boom.