Ch. 14

Max's POV

"Are you sure you don't want me to go in with you?"

I shook my head, still staring at my house in fear. 

Justin gave me a ride home to give me a pep talk. My parents knew I was transgender... and that I'd told basically everybody. That was not going to go down easily.

"They might take my phone away so don't expect a text or call from me. Hopefully, it'll be fine. But if you hear a knock on your window, it's not a burglar it's just me." 

I tried to end off happily with a joke but it kind of failed. He tried to smile anyway.

"Okay. Be safe. I'll see you tomorrow."

I hesitated but leaned over the middle armrest and gently hugged him. He froze for a second but hugged me back.

I moved back and cleared my throat, blushing, "Um... don't ask."

He laughed a little, "I wasn't gonna."

"Bye."

"Bye."

When I opened my front door, I heard him pulling out of the driveway. I took a deep breath and walked inside. Immediately to be met by my lovely brother.

He walked over to me from the living room, "They're waiting for you, tranny."

I rolled my eyes, "You can't be any more original?"

He just gave me the stink eye and walked back to the living room as I slowly took my shoes off and mentally prepared myself for the borderline verbal abuse I was about to endure.

I stood in the center of the living room, out of reach just in case, while my parents were on the loveseat and my brother was on one of the recliners. They all looked pissed... but especially my dad.

"What is this we've been hearing about... you telling everyone in the goddamned school you are a boy?" My dad asked, his voice slowly getting louder the angrier he got.

I flinched a little, "I don't know what you're talking about."

Kaden was about to say something but my mom put her finger up to shush him, "Kaden told us so we decided to email your school principal and he told us each and every one of your teachers received an email from you telling them to call you male pronouns."

I opened my mouth but shut it again.

Well, shit.

"Do not tell me you actually believe you're a boy."

I looked weakly at my dad. I never thought either of my parents were capable of physical abuse... until then. I was shaking, nervous I'd have to run because my parents were going to try to hit me.

"People who believe that are sick and attention-hungry! They become whores and prostitutes, druggies, and everything else wrong with the world."

"So do normal people," I tried to fight back.

"Don't back-sass me, young lady."

I was in enough trouble as it was... right?

What was the harm of fighting for myself?

Right?

I hesitated for a moment but mumbled, "Young man."

He stood up in a flash, face red with rage, making me flinch and take multiple steps back.

"Honey. Calm down," I was about to start bawling and thank my mom but she continued, "there are other ways to punish her."

My eyes got teary and I wanted to kick the smirk off of Kaden's face but I was frozen.

My dad huffed angrily, "Fine. You are grounded for the rest of the school year. We are taking your phone and laptop, and you are to stay home from school tomorrow and spend the whole day in your room."

"B-bu..."

"But nothing! You disgrace our family, you're lucky we don't kick your sorry ass out! Now get out of my sight!"

I slowly nodded and started walking away, then I heard my brother shout, "Aren't you forgetting something?"

I continued walking and once I reached the stairs, I put my phone on the bottom step.

**

It was two in the morning, no one had come to check up on me. In fact, I was pretty sure my door had been locked from the outside. 

I needed to see Justin. If I didn't see him soon then I was scared I'd do something more drastic than cutting.

Justin's POV (same time)

I hadn't been able to sleep, I was too worried about Max. 

I'd never met his parents so I had no idea how they were going to act. Max didn't tell me a lot either because he didn't want me to worry. But that was just worrying me even more. 

It was two in the morning and I'd been anxiously cleaning my bedroom and my bathroom, I even went downstairs and quietly did the dishes. I worked when I was stressed.

I heard a small tapping at my window. 

I ignored it because I figured it was just the tree there but I heard it again and got curious. 

I went to my window and looked out to see Max standing below with a flashlight. He smiled lightly when he saw me in the window and I motioned for him to wait for a second. 

I quietly sprinted through my house to go to the front door and I walked over to him.

I gave him a huge hug, "I've been so worried, I've been doing all sorts of stress cleaning. Are you okay?"

He hugged me back tightly but stayed silent. When I felt my shirt becoming wet I realized why. I soothingly rubbed his back and guided him inside where I set him on the couch and gave him a glass of water.

He chugged it and sniffled, "Thank you."

"What happened?"

"M-my brother told my parents. They talked to the school and found out I told everyone. I'm grounded for the r-rest of the school year and they took my phone and laptop. A-and they're keeping me home f-from school tomorrow t-t-to p-pun-punish me m-more."

He started crying again so I hugged him tightly to me, "Shh, it's okay. How did you get here?"

He spoke into my chest, "I went out my window and walked here."

"Do you want to spend the night?"

He shook his head, "They'll find out and punish me more. My dad was so angry... he looked like he was going to h-hit me."

I hugged him tighter to me.

How could people be so cruel? To their own family?