Eight

Usually I don't do author's notes at the beginning, but I'm writing this because there are a couple trigger warnings in this. So if you don't feel comfortable reading this chapter, I'll have a summary of what happened at the end.

⚠️MENTIONS OF RAPE, DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, AND SEXUAL ASSAULT⚠️

Lorenzo wasn't pleased to find that we were breaking the news of Tommy DeLuca's death over some lo mein. In fact, he kicked us out of the office until we were done eating the Chinese and then let us in; this time he was smoking a cigar and running his hand through his hair. "Now that you both look professional for fucking once, tell me what happened again. How did Tommy DeLuca die?" Jacob opened his mouth to begin, but I cut him off. "We don't know. We went into his room and he was alright at first, a little doped out, so we asked him what you wanted to know and then he started seizing, like full on. I called for help, and the doctors tried to calm him down, but it was too late. Apparently they didn't know he had an allergy to one of the meds he was on," Jacob gave me a side eyed glance to convey his surprise at the story, but I didn't let up. I might as well add a little spice while I'm at it to please Tom, "He did say something though."

Lorenzo leaned in, "What was it?" This time, Jacob cut me off. " The DeLucas want Bella dead. Something about her mom, I guess." "Shit," Lorenzo said, "Shit! After all these years they've been playing their detachment to us as some bereavement bullshit. 'It's inexcusable that you couldn't protect your own, Lorenzo.'" With that, he slammed the cigar down on the ashtray, flecks of ash flying in the air. One of them landed on my forearm and it felt like an insect bite, but after what I've been through I didn't care to flinch.

"Aren't they coming to the meeting?" I asked, worry in my voice. "Bella, even the Adessos are coming. This meeting isn't to be fucked with. The Hollands are in America right now, and we can't show them we're vulnerable," Lorenzo raised his voice. It wasn't because he was annoyed at me, but rather because he was stressed. He just found out one of his allies were planning to kill me, ultimately betraying Lorenzo. He couldn't have this internal turmoil at a time like this. "Jacob, go talk to Kieran about providing extra security to the club for tomorrow. Knowing Tom, he'll find a way to slip in." Jacob nodded and then left the room, leaving Lorenzo and I alone.

It shouldn't have been as awkward, but it was. It should have been a comfortable feeling, a reunion of sorts. Lorenzo and I have barely been able to see each other since my parents' murder, but now knowing the truth, it's been a blessing. The elephant in the room was unrequited, he didn't know I knew. Instead, he was still playing the role of someone once close to me, because he believed that's how I still perceived him.

"How are you holding up, kid?" he asked, his voice a lot less strained. I shrugged, "I don't know. Not well, I suppose." It was the truth. I've had to be around death 24/7 with a little whisper in the back of my mind telling me that I was going to die too. I lost proper use of my leg, was beaten and tortured, and now had to be a mole from the family I was raised in. I felt hatred for someone I once loved and a budding attraction to someone I despise. My emotions are off the roof, and my mental stability is irregular. I wasn't fine, but I didn't know I was lying about that too. Everything was just so fucked up.

Lorenzo nodded, "I figured as much. I didn't want you to come back. Not because I don't love you. I do, Bella. But it's just so fucking dangerous right now and I don't want to see you hurt again. You're like my daughter. " A daughter you orphaned, I thought. "You don't understand how grateful I am for you, Lorenzo," faux tears sprung from my eyes, "I'm so afraid. I'm so fucking afraid all the time." Lorenzo stood up from his desk, walked around and gave me a hug. I resisted at first, but I gave in. He was warm and the embrace was strong. Apparently, he still wore the same cologne he did six years ago, which was oddly comforting. It took me back to birthday parties and nights when Lorenzo had to babysit me when Mom and Dad went on dates. I wished he didn't do it. I wished I could still consider him family.