Chapter 6.3

Edgar saw the knife flash into his brother's throat. He whirled around to face this assassin. He registered the shock on Maria's face. And recognition. Later.

Terra whirled to face the men coming out of the walls. Edgar focused on the assassin. He'd avenge his brother.

Edgar drew his sword and pushed through the rush of men in mail. Some moved. Some fell. Terra cut through the men as fast as he, clearing Edgar's path and keeping the rest of the men at bay.

Part of his mind wanted to follow his sister and keep her safe. The rest of it was focused. He had one job. He'd failed. Now he would have his vengeance. The world dissolved into red as he slashed his way toward the blond man making his way toward a hysterical, wailing Maria.

When the blond man reach her he saw her recoil from the man's touch and her maid try to drag her away from the fighting. The maid screamed at the man pointing toward Edgar. Edgar kept getting swept out of his sword's length with the crush of bodies dying around him.

The blond man whirled bringing his sword to the ready. Edgar noted the man favored a leg. An old injury. He worked the man around, backing him away from Maria. He'd keep his sister-in-law safe. He could do that for Ralse.

Block. Thrust. Parry. Swing. The blond man was almost as big as Edgar. He may have even had an edge, but for his bad leg. This man fought with the ferocity of victory or death. As Edgar backed him into a corner and knocked his sword away, he glanced over at Maria watching in horror. Her scream frozen in terror. Staring at the two men.

Edgar ran his sword through the unarmed man. Pulled it out. Then hacked the body apart. The fighting stopped as his sword echoing against the stone floors rang through the great hall.

He didn't register his surroundings or that the coup was over until Terra put a bloody hand on his shoulder.

Edgar looked around. His sister's guards had restrained the maid, unsure whether she was trying to guide her mistress to safety or kidnap her. He watched Maria rise from a crumpled heap on the ground and force control over her face. She shook as she moved to where the blond man's head lay on the floor. She knelt to look at his face and closed his eyes.

Edgar leaned on his sister for support as they both watched the Queen go to her husband who was slumped over the table. His face he'd fallen to look away from them. Maria moved round to his other side, kissed his head, tears streaming down her face, closed his eyes too.