35| Nala

Please hit that little like button my dudes! Enjoy!!

***

Five Months Later...

"Miss. Kennedy?" I was stuffing my stuff in my bag as I looked up at the little girls in front of me. "Are you leaving?" One of them asked and II nodded my head as I looked at the group who seemed sad. I've been mentally absent at work for a while and I can tell that the kids here are starting to notice.

"You guys know I have to go visit my boyfriend but I promise he'll come and visit you guys soon," I said with a forced smile and they nodded their heads before running off to play. I bit my lip to keep it from quivering as I lowered my head and started to leave, uttering a quick goodbye to my coworkers on my way out.

I stopped at Noah's house and checked the backyard, content with the way that construction was going. I could see how amazing it was all coming out and locked up before practically running to the car and making my way to the hospital.

"Hi, Nala," one of the nurses greeted me from behind a desk after I made my way up to the specific floor and I offered her a smile that I know must have looked tired. "Go on ahead Sweetheart," she said softly and I thanked her as I made my way to the end of the hallway.

I reached into my bag and grabbed the object he somehow snuck into my pocket as I pushed the door open and was met with the sight that continued to haunt my dreams. There he was. Leaning against the door I gnawed my lip as my gaze flickered all over him.

I can't remember the shade of his eyes. For the life of me, I just can't remember. I swear they're amber. But how brown? How many specks of gold?

I should have counted the specks the countless amount of times I've stared into them.

But I can't.

I can't shove his eyelids back because what if they're rolled to the back of his head? What if they look lifeless and it breaks me?

I watch his gown covered body rhythmically push up and down with the help of the machine attached to him. I listen to the sound of the heart monitor beep constantly. I smell the tingly scent that disinfectant wafts to my nose. And I shift the little black box containing a ring in between my two hands.

"Good morning Nala," I jumped a little at the sound and pushed my hands behind my back as I stepped into the room. "You're early today," Aria said and I offered her a soft smile.

"Might have sped a little more than usual." I made my way to Noah laying in the hospital bed and kissed his forehead before sitting on the edge of the bed. My hand instantly traveled to his own and I put the little box there and held it shut.

"It's been months and I still can't get used to this," Aria whispered and I nodded my head. "It just hurts seeing him like this and not being able to do anything about it." I placed a hand on Noah's chest and rubbed it back and forth lightly. It helped a little. To feel his heartbeat.

"He's your son it's bound to be difficult," I told her as I looked at her and she gave me a soft smile.

"It's your other half. Must be pretty hard too."

"It's definitely something I'd never wish upon a person."

She looked at me for a hard minute and then cleared her throat, getting up. "I'm going to go check on Adrian. He went to the food court to yell at the people making the vegan options."

I let out a soft laugh as she left the room. Leaving me alone with the love of my life. I felt a little choked up before my I heard the door open up behind me again and I turned around to see my mom standing by the door.