How I Fought With Lindsay

After a race, which takes place barely a week after the one we had our little power off, Chuck and I stay in the box while Johnny and Eric went out for a drink. We are watching the race like we usually would. Chuck is pointing out the mistake I've made during the race while I am munching on an apple. Strangely I like apples, but I'm still not used to other fruits.

"Are you nervous?" asks Chuck.

"What?" I ask as the sudden question startles me.

"I'm asking if are you nervous," repeats Chuck looking at me this time.

"Only one race left," I mumble. "I have made myself enough of a name and even got a few offers so..."

"So you are settling for a mechanic?"

I frown my eyebrows not sure what he means. "I don't understand."

"You can race like most of professionals that have been racing for years and you have been doing this for barely half a year. You could get a sponsor and a team, you know."

I think about his offer for a moment. I've never looked at it that way. I was just so focused on my primary goal I've never even thought about the option of me actually start to race. "I don't know..." I answer honestly.

Chuck nods turning his gaze back on the screen. "You still have the time."

"But... if I would... would all of this have to stay hidden?" I ask.

"The contract does say until you finish the last race." I just get this feeling that Chuck is trying to tell me something. I look at him with clear confusion. "Tomorrow you race to the end."

"But..."

"You will not switch with Chris. You've worked way too hard to just give him everything," says Chuck with the voice telling me by itself not to argue with him. Probably he figures it out that it was too harsh. "Don't you think so?"

"I did work hard, but I've never thought about actually getting into racing..." I mumble.

Chuck places a hand on my shoulder. "Finish the race and take the helmet off in front of everyone."

I think about it for a few seconds and nod. I could do that. If I do it, I'll still have the chance of changing my mind and just stay at working on a bike, but it would open another door for me. "Ok," is all I say turning my eyes back on the screen.

Then the door of the box opens. "What are you two mumbling so much?" asks Chris walking into the tiny room. I freeze. Is there a chance he heard everything? Of course there is! Chris sits down next to me looking at us with clear annoyance. Obviously he hasn't heard everything clearly, realisation of which makes me relax a bit.

"What are you doing here?" asks Chuck coldly.

"Just wanted to watch race with you two. I haven't races so long and just wanted to hear some advice for my work tomorrow," Chris says looking at me like he would want to warn me not to screw it and I just shrug at his gesture.

"Can I go?" I ask to which Chuck nods. I get up and head home.

There is no one on the road thus I get to my flat fairly quickly. I can see Lindsay is still awake since the light in the living room is still on. I lock my vespa in place and walk up the stairs. I walk up the stairs. "Hey, Linds," I greet.

"Hey yourself!" Lindsay mumbles with mouth full of ice cream.

"Is something wrong?" I ask putting my jacket on the hanger.

"YOu know Josh?"

"Josh?"

"The guy who was hitting on your asexual ass at that party?"

"The one you have been crushing on?" I ask sitting on the opposite side of the kitchen counter from her.

"We went for a movie and in the middle of it, he told me he was hanging with me because he wanted to get to you and since he hadn't been successful, he just left in the middle of the movie!" she starts crying even more.

"Oh, Linds..." I say.

"What is happening to you, Chris? It's like I don't know you anymore! And I don't like it!" she says while stuffing her mouth with more ice cream.

"You don't like me being happy?" I ask.

"No! I mean yes! I love to see you happy! Just... you're always working on a bike and when you don't you are stealing my friends and boys!" she cries pointing the spoon at me almost as if she was treating me with it.

I sigh. "I didn't want to steal anything from you. And those people are not your friends. They keep you around because they like someone who would do anything to get them to like them. Trust me, I've been there many times."

"That's not true!" exclaims Lindsay, but the tears in her eyes are indicating she knows I am right, but refused to accept it. "You are only saying that because you are jealous!"

"Of what?!" I exclaim.

"Of me actually having a social life! Of having people to like me for me not because of a few appearances I made on TV!"

"Oh, that is what you think I do?" I ask feeling anger boil in the pit of my stomach.

"That and fixing the bike while watching the race!"

"You know there is much more than that! You have no idea what I do every day!" I am full out yelling by now. My best friend doesn't think what I do is much and that hurts. It hurts even more that I can't tell her anything.

"I don't know, Chris! You know why? Because everytime I ask you about your job, you just shrug, mumble something and are off to do... whatever you do!"

I decide to stop this before I say anything I'll regret. "Look, you are sad and I have a huge race tomorrow. We both should get some sleep." I turn around walking to my door.

"That's right! Go to bed and go to the racing ground when you wake up!" she yells after me.

"Good night, Lindsay," I say closing the door behind me. I throw myself in my bed. I know I probably wouldn't be able to sleep by the nerves themself let alone from the fight with my best friend.