Chapter 4. Best Ankles In The Family

"Laurie get down from there!" I huff loudly, and the long legged boy just stares out the window, arms crossed in front of him, one leg propped up like he thinks he's freaking Christopher Columbus or something

"Laurie get down from there!" I huff loudly, and the long legged boy just stares out the window, arms crossed in front of him, one leg propped up like he thinks he's freaking Christopher Columbus or something. "I'm not filling in for Mr. Brooke to hear myself talk about literature. I've read it already!"

Laurie sighs lowly. His eyes turn to me. The hazel is practically mocking, and even though I don't react, there's no way he doesn't notice the way my face warms when he stares at me a beat too long.

Jo would kill me. It's enough to get it from Amy, but me too? God.

"Lily, would it kill you to ignore the Great Works of Will for a single moment and just look out the window with me?" He asks, and raises one extremely dark brow.

I want to, of course. It's a dreadfully beautiful day—the middle of winter, and I'm sure the snow has fallen completely unabashedly while I slept last night in the Laurence's guest room. The girls had a fit (especially Amy) when they found out I was invited to stay.

I'm afraid my nose has been buried between the pages of a book since the moment I woke, and I have yet to look out said window Laurie currently is infatuated with. I do kind of want to see.

When I don't respond to his jab, only purse my lips, he leans over and deftly drags up another stool beside his and resumes his brooding stare out the glass. After several moments of stillness I huff loudly like Meg, yet again, (so that he knows how much this annoys me) and stand up, dropping Hamlet onto the sofa.

When I make my way across the study and lift my skirts so I'm able to climb onto the stool, Laurie gasps. I jump a bit, and look up, startled at the sudden noise.

"What?" I demand, and he grins, his eyes lit up the way people's eyes get when they're very excited about something.

"Nothing I—" He shakes his head. "I just never thought you'd actually, I mean, not Lily March pausing her studies!"