1. starting over

Can we start over?
Can we start over?
Can we start over?
Before it's over, over
...

Lou's POV

Drowning.

Drowning in saltwater and in freshwater are two different things. It takes a longer amount of time to drown in saltwater. Saltwater also drains out the blood from cells and puts them into our lungs. We drown in our own blood.

Most saltwater is found in the sea. Only in some specific lakes. Almost ninety-seven percent of the world is made up of saltwater, and that comes from the oceans.

Drowning...in a memory foam bed is what I've been getting used to for the past eighteen years of my life. And now finally I get to leave this place they call Ocean Isle. This beach in the Outer Banks was known to be my family's home ever since I was born.

My family. My mom, my dad and me. That's how it's always been. Until my family became dysfunctional.

My parents got divorced in the summer of two-thousand and sixteen. I was fifteen and already trying to find my journey through school. Trying to find a way to live life by myself since my best friend Cassidy drowned and passed on a family boat trip, the same year.

I spent my Sophomore year living in hell. Junior year was an entire lie that I figured out the next year, andm Senior year, let's just say that was crazy...

I lost my virginity being stupid at a high school party, with fake friends, my mom moved to the city, my dad started drinking, and I got fired from my summer job.

But on the bright side...

I gained a real friend named Porter at my summer day job (yes, the same one I got fired from...), I surfed for the first time (because Porter told me he was gonna teach me on our days off of work. He said that the waves are smaller, which was easier for me to learn), I went to prom (with Porter as friends), and I got into Chapel Hill.

Through all the rough times I still made the highest SAT and ACT scores I could. I always gave my very best in school. Which made me able to get good enough grades. Or maybe it was the time I had on my hands. Not having very many friends wasn't so bad.

Anyways, Chapel Hill...

Chapel Fucking Hill.

Oh my god. I'm so excited! The college will finally be my life. Away from the drama and a new place where I can start fresh. Make new friends and make my life my own. Like a new world, where I can finally get a second chance. I can start over and get to be the best version of myself.

"Louise Blythe Mitchell!" My dad calls me from where I stand looking at the sea. The waves flowing, the tide uprising to where it stops right before my toes.

The foaming bubbles disappear slowly as they dissolve into the sand, but only for seconds. They ripple through the texture sinking in and turning it into a darker color. We all know the ocean's waves of water run right through the sand.

"Lou!" My dad calls for me again as I let the saltwater run and collided with my feet and the sand underneath it, making me feel like I'm moving even though I'm staying in the exact same spot as before.

"Coming!" I shout, closing my eyes and listening to the ocean's noise. This will be the last time I'll hear it for a while. I'm so used to it and drowning in memory foam.

I spin around quickly smiling at my dad who is waiting impatiently in the driver's seat of the car. I take a deep breath inhaling the goodness and saltwater air, I stride to the car and hop into the passenger's seat.